Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'

alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:23:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source
>> development. My | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or
>> Apple, and never cost | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't
>> run Unix apps any more. I'm | back to hauling a notebook around when
>> just my iPod Touch would do. `----
>>
>> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/08/iphone_hackers.html
>
> You know, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy something like this
> _knowing_ that they're going to be fighting against the manufacturer
> constantly? This is essential a closed device right now and people
> shouldn't be buying them to crack them; they should be boycotting them
> and buying a device that's more friendly to their needs!

There are plenty of suitable devices out there, including the freerunner
phone, the Nokia 810, 800, 770, the upcoming Pandora box.  There is an
increasingly long list of LiMo devices appearing, as well as Android
coming up.

> I had a blackberry which I used for about 1 week. I hated it. I ended up
> buying an unlocked Nokia E61 (used) and buying a SIM card for Rogers
> Wireless. It does do everything I want and yes the default settings don't
> allow for installing unsigned applications, but that's just a setting
> which can be changed. I have an SSH client, IRC Client, VNC Viewer, Opera
> Mini installed. It does what _I_ want the way _I_ want it to.

I've had various Nokia phones, the radio part has always been excellent.
Symbian is okay, and there is a fair amount of software for symbian
versions out there, although not close to that for Linux.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |