[News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumped by Nikon Over 'IP', Suffers Also

Nikon exits Microsoft photo contest

,----[ Quote ]
| Nikon has withdrawn its support for a photography contest hosted by computer
| giant Microsoft after a row over potential copyright infringement.
|
| [...]
|

| In a statement issued to Pro Imaging, Microsoft said: 'We have since taken
| steps to obtain the rights to use every image to be featured in the
| subsequent stages of the Iconic Britain competition.'
`----

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/_Nikon_exits_Microsoft_photography_contest__Photographers_blast_Microsoft_over_copyright_rules_news_264915.html

Microsoft Is Again in the Crosshairs of a University-Based Patent Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Research Corporation Technologies, based in Tucson, Ariz., first sued
| Microsoft in 2001.
`----

http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/3221/microsoft-is-again-in-the-crosshairs-of-a-university-based-patent-suite

Recent:

Is Microsoft Poisoning its Sea of Troubles?

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine, though, a day when open source programs run well on Windows. Given
| that the installed base of Windows is currently much larger than that for
| GNU/Linux, this means that many open source developers are likely to start
| paying more attention to Microsoft's platform, even to the detriment of
| GNU/Linux versions. As a result, some coders will be more amenable to
| including “optimised” technologies like Silverlight in their Windows
| versions. And so it will begin: the gradual pollution of free software with
| proprietary elements and software patents.
|
| If Microsoft's old approach can be likened to Hamlet's attempt to “take arms
| against a sea of troubles” - a futile effort - it's new, more subtle, tactic
| might be characterised as poisoning that sea. As we know from real life,
| that's all-too easy, and particularly hard to prevent, especially as it can
| occur very slowly and imperceptibly to begin with.
|
| To prevent the poison building up to noxious levels, open source projects
| need to be extremely wary when responding to Microsoft's chummy enquiries, or
| they may ultimately find themselves repeating Hamlet's more famous quotation
| from the opening of the same speech.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=776

Related: