[News] Overstated 'Confusion' in GNU/Linux, FOSS Licenses

Video: Picking a Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Just in time for Linuxworld: Some argue that Linux distributions are
| essentially the same, and you should just pick the one with the color scheme
| you like the best. In reality however, distributions are different and some
| will suit your company’s needs better than others. In this IT Dojo video,
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9561

The OSI digs into license proliferation again...but why?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a worthy cause, but one that has already been effectively fought and
| settled by the free market. I would hazard a guess that upwards of 95 percent
| of all open-source projects are licensed under less than 5 percent of
| open-source licenses. (The last time I checked, 88 percent of Sourceforge
| projects were L/GPL or BSD. It's been a non-issue for many years.)
|
| There is no open-source proliferation problem. Do we have a lot of
| open-source licenses? Yes, just as we have a lot of proprietary licenses (in
| fact, we have many more of those). But we don't have a license proliferation
| problem, because very few open-source licenses actually get used on a regular
| basis.
|
| This is a phantom. It seems scary, but it's not real.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10007321-16.html

Related:

The distro jungle

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of
| distributions to choose from. The good news is that you can safely ignore
| most of them. This article helps you choose a distribution for getting
| started with your Linux exploration—and helps you understand just what
| it is you've just chosen.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-distros/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-btw01distrojungle

More distros = more choice