[News] $12 PC Challenge; $199 Linux PCs for Sale

Designers on quest to build $12 computer

,----[ Quote ]
| “We see this as a model that could increase economic opportunities for people
| in developing countries,” said Lomas, part of a team that’s trying to develop
| a $12 computer at this month’s MIT International Development Design
| Summit. “If you just know how to type, that can be the difference between
| earning $1 an hour instead of $1 a day.
`----

http://news.bostonherald.com/business/technology/general/view/2008_08_04_Designers_on_quest_to_build__12_computer/

New $199 PC:

KPC with Foresight Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight features an intuitive user interface with all the latest software
| pre-loaded so it’s convenient and easy to get started – simply turn it on to
| enjoy music, photos, videos, documents, and the Internet.
`----

http://us.shuttle.com/kpc/

Recent:

Govt plans laptops for students at Rs 400

,----[ Quote ]
| Students across the country will be able to buy specially designed laptops at
| affordable prices with the Government planning to provide them the gadget at
| around Rs 400.
|
| [...]
|
| "The government aims to provide 10-dollar laptops to students and research in
| this direction is on," said D Purandeshwari, Minister of State for Human
| Resources Development in New Delhi.
`----

http://www.ndtvprofit.com/2008/07/29153419/Govt-plans-laptops-for-student.html

Are India and China taking over open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has offered downloads of its ActiveVOS visual orchestration
| system since March and noticed a troubling trend:
|
|     We expected to have downloads from all over the world, but the shocking
|     truth is that a majority of our downloads are coming from outside the
|     U.S., especially from India and China. A conversation I had with a
|     marketing director at a major open-source ESB provider confirmed that
|     company is seeing fully half of its downloads from India and China.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2710

Related:

HRD hopes to make $10 laptops a reality

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, the cost of one laptop, after factoring in labour charges,
| is coming to $47 but the ministry feels the price will come
| down dramatically considering the fact that the demand would
| be for one million laptops.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TOIonline/India/HRD_hopes_to_make_10_laptops_a_reality/articleshow/1999849.cms

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
| villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
| their way.
|
| Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
| installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
| servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
| government officials in Linux and Open Office too.

Foresight Linux Review

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is installed, but it’s not added into the Graphics menu. I wonder if
| it’ll be there if I reboot? I did run it from the command line and that
| worked. This is soemthing they definitely need to fix if they want to be the
| easy to use distro.  After I rebooted, it was in the menu.
|
| Overall, the distro does a very nice job of picking a small amount of
| programs to have installed as the default.  It’s weird that they didn’t have
| The GIMP installed by default, but no biggie there.  It IS bad that it wasn’t
| in the menu as soon as being installed.  It’s nice to be able to upgrade to
| the latest Gnome without having to install a whole new version of the distro.
| I don’t see anything special about it make it appeal to new users that
| doesn’t also apply to Ubuntu or any of these others.  I’ll keep an eye on
| Foresight in the future, but nothing necessarily pulls me to it right now.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/06/03/foresight-linux-review/

Foresight KDE Alpha-Alpha-Pre-Alpha-Pre Screenshot

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans are to build a 3.5.9 Stable version and wait until 4.1 is released to
| push out a 4.1 version.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/258-Foresight-KDE-Alpha-Alpha-Pre-Alpha-Pre-Screenshot.html

NEWS: Foresight Linux 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the installation went great, the user experience was great,
| PackageKit is easy to use, the User Guide is a great plus, all GNOMEish apps
| (except GIMP) are included... So, if there is someone who wants a different
| and fresh GNOME based desktop, Foresight is one of the best choices.
`----

http://mklinuxos.blogspot.com/2008/03/news-foresight-linux-20-released.html

$199 Shuttle kPC ditches Ubuntu for Foresight Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14278