[News] Hewlett-Packard Announces Extension of GNU/Linux Products

HP Expands App Bodyguard Service

,----[ Quote ]
| HP's Serviceguard for Linux will now support Novell Suse and Red Hat Xen VMs,
| the company announced. The computer maker has also outlined its Strategy
| Workshop and Migration Assessment Services, aimed at helping enterprises roll
| out OpenLDAP directories.

Last week:

Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
| licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
| what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
| licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
| computers we are selling today."
|
| Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
| steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
| Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/29/vista-sales-really-windows-xp

Recent:

An Open Video to HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Shawn Powers has a message for hardware vendors. Listen up!
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/open-letter-hp

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

Microsoft seeds HP PCs with Live Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever determined to close the gap on Google, Microsoft has cut a deal with HP
| to dope all new PCs it flogs to North Americans with Live Search.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/06/02/microsoft_hp_live_search/

HP loves Linux the Windows way

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, unless you’re used to the fact that your hardware vendor offers you RPM
| or DEB packages for Windows products, it shouldn’t surprise you that HP
| offers only Windows executables as a way to support its Linux products...
`----

http://blog.wpkg.org/2008/04/17/hp-loves-linux-the-windows-way/

The France Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it

| Here's the scoop from Les Echos.fr on France's sudden change from its No vote
| to Abstain. Microsoft France's President Eric Boustouller sent AFNOR a
| letter [PDF] in French, of course. He tells a tale about OOXML and ODF
| progressing side by side and how if OOXML is approved, a group will be
| working hard to make the two more interoperable. Attached was a an HP
| statement of support for OOXML. HP sings the same song. And AFNOR?
|
| [...]
|
| Could it be any more cynical? So, now we know that HP is not supportive of
| Linux and FOSS as we thought. Knock me over with a feather. So, they got them
| to change on the basis of promises for the future. I'm sure there's more to
| the story, of course.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two

,----[ Quote ]
| So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's hardware OEMs,
| which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

Microsoft, HP expand business alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| A new deal announced Wednesday calls for, among other things, more HP
| workers to be trained to sell Microsoft products.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6143540.html

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

,----[ Quote ]
| The consumer protectionists of the French organization UFC-Que Choisir
| are demanding of the IT group Hewlett-Packard and the vendors Auchan
| and Darty that they offer PCs without preinstalled software.
|
| [...]
|
| UFC-Que Choisir last year also took action against Sony and Apple,
| taking the two companies to court for allegedly putting their
| customers at a disadvantage through proprietary DRM technologies
| and curtailing their choice of devices.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82605/from/rss09

HP offers Linux home server

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled a Linux-based home media server at half the price of its
| Microsoft-based MediaSmart model.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2214568/hp-offer-linux-home-server

KDE 4.0 on HP 2133 Mini-Note

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week HP announced it's Mini-Note PC with preloads of SUSE Linux
| Enterprise Desktop 10. Our heros of the Mobile Devices Team have worked the
| last weeks on that. The Mini-Note is available in different configurations
| starting at $499 (that would be only 313 Euro if applied for Europe without
| surcharge). All editions share the form factor, the nearly full-size keyboard
| and the nice display (1280x768). So I had to lend one from Mobile Devices
| team and play with it.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3398

HP Media Vault 2100 Linux Server Reviewed: One Kick-Ass Little Penguin

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, this product isn't just another NAS, but a bold statement that HP
| is making, that it doesn't have to be saddled by the rough riders of Redmond
| when it can build (license?) its own practically identical box at a lower
| cost. Now I know that there are some things that you can only do with a
| PC-like server running a full OS, but honestly, what are they? I mean, do
| most people, even die-hard server-needers, give a crap? I want to know from
| you folks: Why bother with Windows Home Server when the Linux-based
| alternatives are on the surface equally friendly, equally powerful and—oh
| yeah—half the cost?
`----

http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+ass-little-penguin

HP-UX Powered by Linux Development Tools?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard said it will offer a second interim update of HP-UX 11i v3,
| the company’s Unix operating system. HP said the latest update, code-named
| Versatility, offers improved performance, security certification and new
| bundled applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Though HP-UX does compete against Linux, it co-operates with Linux in at
| least one critical area, namely development tools.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3740186

HP's Got Linux On The Low End

,----[ Quote ]