[News] Free (Libre) Products Worth Plenty of Money

How much RMS has won

,----[ Quote ]
| Just returning from the iCommons Summit in Sapporo, Japan. The Free Beer
| project made a showing, with a locally brewed version. But this ad caught my
| eye: "Free Beer" for "500 yen."
`----

http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/how_much_rms_has_won.html

SourceForge: Undervalued Open-Source Stock

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now hundreds of millions of dollars are flowing into open source
| software development. Google subsidizes the Mozilla software suite, which
| includes the popular FireFox browser, to the tune of more than $50 million a
| year. Sun Microsystems, which has a huge market cap relative to LNUX and is a
| potential buyer of LNUX, also heavily subsidizes open-source software
| development, in particular Open Office, a completely free alternative to
| Microsoft’s Office suite.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/88749-sourceforge-undervalued-open-source-stock
http://tinyurl.com/5dtgsv

Recent:

Alfresco CEO John Powell on the Value of Free

,----[ Quote ]
| To John Powell, CEO of Alfresco Software, free is worth billions -- $60
| billion, to be exact. That's the value Powell sees in the open source
| software market when one looks at what companies save by using it. Powell
| says OSS deployment in big business is ready to grow fast.

Open Source and Sustainability

,----[ Quote ]
| I won't type in the whole chapter (too lazy), but I will say that he goes on
| for four pages talking about how open source makes it possible for small
| people to do powerful things, and how, as it inevitably gets better through
| user-driven innovation, it is the model of a sustainable system. (He even
| quotes from CATB and explains how he, as a biodiesel farmer and producer, has
| seen the open source effect in action, applied it to his own way of working,
| and has profited from it.)
`----

http://opensource.org/node/342

A blow for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| TACIS runs on an all Open Source platform consisting of PHP using Symphony
| framework, Asynchronous JavaScript and XML or AJAX, and MySQL. This was done
| to avoid millions in pesos more in costs for site licenses and service
| agreements for proprietary platforms.
|
| TACIS’ value proposition for Philippine business is that it enhances the
| capabilities of Filipino firms to meet global standards for their products.
| In other words, to ensure through proper testing that their products are
| world-class.
|
| That this was done on Open Source is yet another blow for its advocates. More
| of these kinds of systems will develop greater acceptance of it by Filipinos.
|
| This voluntary choosing of this platform is the way to go. For Open Source
| can never be imposed upon Filipinos as some misguided legislators insist, by
| decreeing that it be the only platform for government computerization.
|
| Let Open Source be chosen freely. It does have its merits.
`----

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/jan/21/yehey/techtimes/20080121tech1.html

MySQL, JBoss, Zimbra...What is an open-source company worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| JBoss? 2005 revenue was $17 million and bookings were roughly $27 million.
| Red Hat acquired JBoss in 2006 for $350 million. This represents a multiple
| of 20.6 times trailing 12-month revenue or 13 times 2005 bookings. That's not
| a wide divergence from the valuation multiple MySQL got (but both are a lot
| better than the multiple that BEA Systems got for its stock from Oracle).
|
| Zimbra? $6 million in bookings that fed into a $350 million valuation, though
| it's probably better to use the $20 million in bookings it was on track to
| hit in 2007 before the acquisition. At that number, it's a 17.5 multiple on
| bookings projecting to the end of 2007. More likely, it was a multiple on
| bookings in the range of 12 to 15. In other words, very close to the same
| multiple for MySQL and JBoss.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9853461-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Putting a value on MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Since Sun announced its acquisition of MySQL for $1bn, there have been some
| suggestions that perhaps Sun paying too much for the open source database
| vendor. Calculating the multiple for MySQL has proved difficult because there
| are no official figures to go on, and also because many of the unofficial
| figures that are floating around are contradictory.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/01/18/putting-a-value-on-mysql/

Free Software: Sometimes You Get More Than You Pay For

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though I can't see you, I bet you're nodding your head vigorously. One
| of the joys of using the Web is stumbling across some program that makes your
| computing life easier but won't cost you a dime.

Editor's Note: Defending Values

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006100602226OPLL