[News] Company Bring Product to GNU/Linux, Sees Migration from Windows to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Company Bring Product to GNU/Linux, Sees Migration from Windows to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 19:35:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LinuxWorld 2008: StarNet Brings LIVE to Linux Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| While Linux desktop systems have not made a measurable impact on the overall
| desktop computer market, Linux workstations are used extensively in the
| engineering departments of most high-tech companies. "We have seen a
| significant migration from Windows workstations outfitted with a PC X server
| to Linux workstations. LinuxLIVE gives us the opportunity to continue to
| serve these users with X server solutions that improve their productivity,"
| Schoch said.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/linuxworld-2008-starnet-brings-live/story.aspx?guid=%7BE3F752D3-F1FD-4A2F-93F2-908F1A3DA740%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/59rpwo

Related:

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]