[News] [SOT] Surveillance Getting Worse in the West (So is Hypocrisy)

Those privacy-hating Chinese communist tyrants

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea that the U.S. can exert meaningful leverage on China's surveillance
| behavior is laughable for reasons wholly independent of what the U.S.
| Government itself does with regard to spying on its own citizens.
| Nonetheless, to watch U.S. Senators like Sam Brownback actually maintain a
| straight face while protesting China's warrantless spying on the email and
| telephone communications of foreigners, and lamenting that private companies
| feel unfairly pressured to cooperate with China's government spying out of
| fear of losing lucrative business opportunities, is so surreal that it's
| actually hard to believe one is seeing it.
`----

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/07/30/china/index.html

That's what Free software is for: Taking back control of one's privacy and
computing.

Recent:

Run Linux? Save the World, Please.

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, O’Reilly Media hosted the 2008 Open Source Convention (OSCON) in
| Portland, Oregon. The conference is described as “the crossroads of all
| things open source, bringing together the best, brightest, and most
| interesting people to explore what’s new, and to champion the cause of open
| principles and open source adoption across the computing industry,” and
| featured speakers from all over the open source community. The talks and
| panels are (of course) available online.
|
| [...]
|
| Issues like privacy, transparency, and the open sourcing of software that
| plays out in the public domain are tremendously important subjects, but
| they’re equally tremendously unsexy. People don’t seem to want to learn about
| them, let alone fight for them. So, has it fallen to tech savvy citizens to
| step up, and lead society away from the potential pitfalls and abuses of new
| technology? Or have citizens got an obligation to educate themselves, and
| just pay the price if they don’t?
`----

http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/index.php/2008/07/27/run-linux-save-the-world-please/

Editorial: Piracy under attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Vendors in India have already started pre-installing Linux on PCs to reduce
| costs. On the server front, Linux is already a potent force. Major firms and
| institutions like the LIC of India, IDBI, IndiaBulls and HDFC use Linux on
| their servers, even for "mission-critical" applications.
|
| In most cases, the implementation of Linux in Indian enterprises is by Red
| Hat. Novell is the other prominent Linux vendor. However, if one has an
| in-house IT maintenance department, it is possible to choose from hundreds of
| other Linux distributions — Mandriva, Debian, Suse,PCLinuxOS, Knoppix and
| Ubuntu, to name a few — for desktops and enterprises (especially small and
| medium companies). Linux today has gained the support of corporations such as
| IBM, Sun Microsystems, Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Novell. In India, besides
| major companies, state governments in Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi and
| Maharashtra have started using Linux in a bid to promote "open-source"
| environments, which also explains, to some extent, the drop in software
| piracy rates. Moreover, in an age when goliaths like Google are paving the
| way to success with free software, proprietary software vendors should do
| some soul-searching too. It's also time that SMEs took the cue. They should
| start using ‘open source' and free software, and stop paying the heavy price
| associated with the term software "pirates".
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=lmnu5&subLeft=1&autono=323272&tab=r

Freeing software for users

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and free and open source software such
| as OpenOffice have started posing a serious challenge to proprietary giants.
| The ideology of free software can be explored more easily by encountering the
| people using and popularising it.
|
| Yet another organisation that is at the forefront of using cyber space for
| local content is the non-profit organisation Society for Promotion of
| Alternative Computing and Employment (SPACE). For four years, SPACE has been
| promoting free software and encouraging local participation in using new
| technology. SPACE works to popularise Linux and is the workhorse behind many
| Goverment projects such as IT @ School.
|
| [...]
|
| Adds Dineshan M, a teacher associated with IT @ School: “A teacher should
| impart value to his students. Discouraging the use of pirated copies of
| expensive software and promoting GNU/Linux comes naturally to me as a
| teacher.”
`----

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/04/19/stories/2008041950920400.htm

LINdependence 2008