[News] Ubuntu Linux Targets Old PCs for Schools

Can Ubuntu Linux Close the Digital Divide?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, Ubuntu Linux holds great promise as a tool that helps to shrink the
| digital divide. Netbooks (low-cost subnotebooks) with Ubuntu Remix are
| expected to flood the market this winter. And Intel continues to press
| forward with its Classmate PCs — low-cost systems that target K-6 schools in
| the U.S. and K-12 in emerging markets. Now comes word of Untangle leading the
| Installfest at LinuxWorld Expo.
|
| [...]
|
| Meanwhile, K-12 school kids in Vermont and neighboring states were sharing
| dial-up connections in computer labs. And recent high school graduates were
| heading off to college and never returning home. Instead, they were
| relocating — permanently — to towns that had broadband.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/03/can-ubuntu-linux-close-the-digital-divide/

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 102

,----[ Quote ]
| QA to Launchpad Liaison, MOTU news, New Ubuntu Members, Ubuntu Screencasts,
| Ubuntu Global Bug Jam, New in Intrepid Ibex, Launchpad 2.0, Ubuntu-UK podcast
| #11, Linux pre-installs at 3%, Steve Stalcup interview, Server Team summary,
| and much, much more!
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue102

Recent:

In Defense of a Linux Education

,----[ Quote ]
| The difference between learning how to use a new tool and learning a new
| concept is the same difference between receiving training and gaining an
| education. How many times have you heard (or said) that algebra and history
| are not “useful” in “real life”? I can understand when such a claim is made
| by a sixth-grade student who has much time left to decide on a career, but
| I’ve even heard college students complain that their programs of study should
| focus on what they will “do for a living” and that all of the basic curricula
| should be dropped. “I’ve already taken that in high school!” they cry. What
| many students never come to understand is that by teaching you the same old
| things in new, more complex ways forces your mind to think differently, to
| grow.
`----

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/in-defense-of-a-linux-education/

Microsoft, the Bully