[News] [Rival] Yahoo/Microsoft Not Over Yet (More Proxy Battles Possible)

Yahoo leaders brush off Microsoft criticism

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo's top executives yesterday sought to draw a line under the six months
| of upheaval triggered by Microsoft's takeover bid, as the internet company
| fended off renewed criticism at its annual shareholder meeting for failing to
| secure a deal with the software company.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cbc97012-602b-11dd-805e-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

Yahoo's board re-elected, but a new drama arises

,----[ Quote ]
| The real surprise happened elsewhere, as the expected nomination to the board
| of former AOL Chief Executive Jon Miller, part of the settlement with Icahn,
| got caught up in a battle between his old employer and Yahoo.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_10077224?source=rss

Microsoft wants to spy on more people.

U.S. Lawmakers Query 33 Companies on Web Advertising (Update3)

,----[ Quote ]
| ``Online users have a right to explicitly know when their broadband provider
| is tracking their activity and collecting potentially sensitive and personal
| information,'' Representative Edward Markey of Massachusetts, who heads the
| telecommunications subcommittee, said today in an e-mailed statement.
|
| Lawmakers' concerns about privacy are growing as companies such as Google,
| Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo! Inc. battle for a bigger share of the online ad
| market.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aSJ3X0I6jd.c&refer=home

Recent:

Microsoft CEO says done talking to Yahoo, for now

,----[ Quote ]
| But Ballmer suggested he would never say never to reviving talks: "Does that
| mean nobody will ever talk to anybody again? I suspect the answer is also
| no," he said.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKN2450988920080724

Eight Years of Wrongness

,----[ Quote ]
| That performance record would be embarrassing enough on its own, but it comes
| in spite of going through an unprecedented amount of our cash on buybacks
|                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
| (nearly $43 billion worth in just the past three fiscal years) and other
|         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| schemes that were supposed to drive the stock.
`----

http://msftextrememakeover.blogspot.com/2008/06/eight-years-of-wrongness.html

Microsoft should issue debt for a buyback--analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) should take on
| debt to repurchase stock as a way to revive its flagging share price, a
| financial analyst said in a new report issued on Tuesday.
|
| Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co analyst David Hilal called on the company to
| take advantage of its predictable cash flow and rock solid balance sheet to
| execute a leveraged buyback.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2225586020080722

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205