[News] Stallman Targets Suppression Conspiracies, Advocates Free Software

Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| “New Zealand’s law does not go as far as the DMCA in the US, but it is unjust
| nonetheless,” he says.
|
| “DRM is nearly always the result of a conspiracy of companies to restrict the
| technology available to the public. Such conspiracy should be a crime, and
| the executives responsible for it should be sentenced to prison.”
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| Stallman’s other mission here is to promote the Free Software Movement. The
| creator of the GPL licence, under which most free software is distributed, is
| at pains to correct misunderstandings of what the term “free software” means
| and to draw a distinction between it and the open source movement.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0064FE274A08BA2CCC25749A00383CB3

Is Free Software dependent on the Internet?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Free Software dependent on the Internet?  I have fantasized a (hopefully)
| comical situation that describes where I believe Free Software would be today
| if the Internet had never been invented.
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2008/08/02/is-free-software-dependent-on-the-internet/

Recent:

Judges warned about RIAA antics

,----[ Quote ]
| AMERICA'S TOP JUDGES have been briefed on the antics of the Recording
| Industry Association of America.
|
| New York attorney Ray Beckerman has written a paper for the American Bar
| Association's Judge's Journal's bumper summer issue.
|
| Beckerman, who defends people sued by the MAFIAA, told judges about the finer
| points of case law relating to the wave of P2P cases.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/30/judges-warned-riaa-antics

Ex-Microsoft Manager Sentenced for Fraud

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzM3NjYsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Ex-Microsoft Manager Pleads Guilty, Sentenced For Embezzlement

http://www.crn.com/software/209400603

Related:

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
| incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html