Re: [News] Many Advantages of Free Software Instant Messengers

> Pidgin IM vs MSN Messenger
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Pidgin is open-source
>|
>| An open-source software have many advantages: It?s free most of the time, and
>| its source code is accessible, so you can be sure that no backdoor exists in
>| the program
>|
>| Pidgin can deal with 16 IM protocol
>|
>| Of course, Pidgin works with the MSN protocol, but also on AIM, Bonjour,
>| Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, IRC, MySpaceIM, QQ, SILC, SIMPLE,
>| Sametime, XMPP, Yahoo! Messenger and Zephyr, for a total of 16 IM protocols.
>|
>| Remember some years ago, when you had to download a new client just because
>| the friend you wanted to talk to didn?t use the same protocol as you? With
>| Pidgin, this time?s over.
>| Note, Pidgin can also work with the Skype protocol.
>|
>| Pidgin is advertising-free
>|
>| Microsoft makes lots of money with the Windows Live Messenger ads. Pidgin
>| developers aren?t that interested in money: The software is advertising-free,
>| which results in more speed and less memory use.
> `----
>
> http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/08/pidgin-im-vs-msn-messenger/

But most of all, pidgin is multi-platform /because/ it's open-source.
It runs as well on my Nokia 800 as it runs on my desktop PC.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |