[News] More Open Source Conference Coming, Abusive Monopolist Invades

Penguins in Tel Aviv? It Must Be the Annual Open-Source Convention

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, you read that right: Microsoft was a major sponsor of the conference,
| and its logo appeared prominently on the conference program, as well as on
| the T-shirts that were distributed to each attendee. There was even a very
| well-attended session at which a Microsoft manager (Amir Shevat) tried to
| convince the crowd that the war is over, and that it's worth trying to find
| ways in which Microsoft and the open-source community can work together.
`----

http://ostatic.com/170384-blog/penguins-in-tel-aviv-it-must-be-the-annual-open-source-convention

"Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer [...] I can't imagine
something that could be worse than this for the software business and the
intellectual-property business. I'm an American; I believe in the American
way, I worry if the government encourages open source, and I don't think we've
done enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

                        --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Open Source Conference: Open Source World Conference 2008, Malaga 20-22 October

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source World Conference, taking place in Malaga (Spain), from
| October 20 to 22, is one of the most important FLOSS event in Europe.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/07/31/open-source-conference-open-source-world-conference-2008-malaga-20-22-october/

Open Source Conference: Profoss Open Source ERP events

,----[ Quote ]
| This event will take place in Brussels, but we’re looking to possibly
| organise it in other locations throughout Europe.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/07/30/open-source-conference-profoss-open-source-erp-events/

Organisers need to learn to reject Microsoft, just as OSA did. Microsoft is the
next SCO.

Recent:

SCO vs. Linux – mixed reactions to Novell Unix copyright verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| From hackers to financial analysts, the question of what happens next is
| occupying the minds of many in the IT industry – not all of them as
| well-informed as Pamela Jones, the good fairy behind Groklaw, a website which
| follows such cases. She has told Infoworld that Microsoft will be the next
| SCO Group; the company has been loudly rattling its patent sabres, claiming
| earlier this year that Linux violated mote than 235 Microsoft patents.
| Whether Microsoft goes beyond mere sabre rattling and whether SCO manages
| anything more than a last gasp is also a question of how you evaluate the
| course of court proceedings so far.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/features/SCO-vs-Linux-mixed-reactions-to-Novell-Unix-copyright-verdict--/110819

Related:

The Goldfarb Declaration - Updated: MS Statement

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html