[News] Ray Niro Still a Patent Troll, Mozilla Takes Brave Stand Against Trolls

Friends of Harris say they're neither 'trolls' nor 'shells'

,----[ Quote ]
| Ray Niro doesn't like the term "patent troll," and has taken umbrage when
| that pejorative is used against his clients. It's not unusual for patent
| enforcers to ask judges to ban that term from court (as Rambus did recently.)
| Indeed, it's increasingly common for courts to police the use of "hot button"
| words generally.
|
| Now we learn Niro doesn't care for the term "shell entities" either; court
| documents filed last month lay out his novel attempt to re-align the patent
| patois.
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2008/07/patent-language-police-stop-saying-shell-entities.html

In other news, Robert Mugabe says he's a cute puppy.

Native Ogg Vorbis and Theora support added for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| [T]here is a risk to bundling even an open source codec like Theora because
| of the possibility of submarine patents -patents nobody knows about until a
| product that unknowingly infringes it, succeeds, becoming a target for the
| patent owner who will seek monetary compensation and a good licensing
| agreement. This is why the HTML 5 spec doesn’t recommend any encoder so
| vendors don’t have to choose between taking this kind of risk or not
| complying with the standard.
|
| During today’s announcement at the Products and Technology Roadmap Mozilla
| Summit session, Mitchell Baker commented that Mozilla would be a bad target
| as it is a project with a product a lot of people cares about.
|
| Mike Shaver, interim Mozilla’s VP of Engineering, also commented “Somebody
| had to do it. It’s good it was us”.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/07/native-ogg-vorbis-and-theora-support-added-for-firefox-31/

Recent:

Theora Video Backend for Firefox Landed

,----[ Quote ]
| It was announced at the Firefix Plus summit today that Firefox will include
| native Theora and Vorbis support for the HTML 5 media elements. So <video>
| and <audio> will support those codecs built into Firefox itself. Chris
| Blizzard posted about this earlier.
`----

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/07/theora-video-backend-for-firefox-landed.html

Broken links (because the Ray Niro bully took the blog down):

Blogger, Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Live by anonymity, die by anonymity.
|
| Yes, I have been unmasked. It happened quite the way this blog happened - I
| got an anonymous email, from the guy who probably collected the bounty,
| telling me I better tell everyone who I am (and he clearly knew), or else he
| would take care of it for me. The clear threat in the email is that he would
| do it in a way I wouldn't be happy about. I don't know what that means, but
| as I have been growing weary of anonymity anyway, here I am.
|
| [...]
|
| Someone may have made $15,000 or so from a bounty posted by Ray Niro on this
| one - not sure I'll ever find out who or how. I don't actually even care.
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/02/blogger-revealed.html

Boca Resort Opens New Front in Assault on Global Patent Holdings'
JPEG-on-a-Website Patent

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/01/boca-resort-opens-new-front-in-assault.html