[News] Operating Systems Become a Commodity, Hypervisors as Standard

Virtual Linux, coming to a desktop near you

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualisation is on the brink of turning operating systems into a commodity
| item. It may be realistic to see software applications shipped as virtual
| computer images in the near future. Linux has much to benefit from this, with
| a repeat of the phenomenal adoption rate it has enjoyed since the ASUS Eee
| PC.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19769/1168/

Microsoft selling Windows for as little as $18 is proof of the argument that it
becomes a commodity. Office too is like a drug going generic because Microsoft
drops prices very rapidly and sales still fall [1]). It's about services [2].

VMware's Fusion 2.0 boosts Windows and Linux integration with Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware has released a new beta of its Fusion 2.0 virtualisation software for
| Mac OS X, which features improved Mac-Windows integration, multiple snapshots
| of virtual machines, improved video capabilities and guest support for Mac OS
| X Server as well as more versions of Linux.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19773/1168/

CIO Reality Check: Linux and Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new series, "CIO Reality Check," we're talking to CIOs about today's
| most important IT decisions. We set out to find and speak to CIOs from a
| variety of industries to gain their perspective on the topic of Linux and
| open source virtualization.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;385211886;fp;4194304;fpid;1

___
[1] Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

[2] Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

[3] Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

[4] Windows will be killed by virtual appliances: VMware exec

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19483/1168/