[News] Free is Not Open, Open is Not Free

Being open about "open" (source)

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m not sure why it bothers me: I use the word “Free” when I’m talking
| about “Free Software”, and “Open” when I mean “Open source”. I’m very
| particular about my words, that way. But that’s just me. I don’t expect
| another religion to follow the rules of my own, or vice-versa. So why do I
| expect others to use words in the same way that I do? And why do I feel so
| cross about “Open standards”, which come with proprietary documentation, a
| hefty price tag, and an NDA?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/being_open_about_open_source

OpenOffice.org Tips and Tricks Part II

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month we started a tutorial series covering tips and tricks to help you
| make the transition from Microsoft (MS) Office to OpenOffice.org (OOo) 2.4
| easier. We discovered how to add more templates and clip art to OOo, include
| grammar checking, and replicate the convenient Split Window feature of MS
| Office. This part of the series will take you through the process of
| importing the custom dictionary of MS Office, setting OOo to always save in
| the MS Office format, and using MS Office. Ready, set, go!
|
| [...]
|
| If you can't give up the MS Office templates you've used in the past or you
| would like additional templates to use with OOo, don't worry; you can easily
| open up Microsoft templates.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6515/1/

Recent:

Benjamin Mako-Hill on Open Source vs. Free, GPL and Prepping for OSCON

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the GPL, the GPL and other copy-left licenses sort of prevent that from
| happening by saying, no; you need to share--you need to insure that the
| freedoms that you had when you received the work are something that can be
| passed on downstream. And that's a tactical decision because the FSF who sort
| of puts out the GPL and continues to modify it--modifies it believes that by
| insuring that the downstream users have freedom and continue to have freedom
| that there will be more freedom overall. The more people that will release
| their stuff as free software, the more people will be encouraged to keep
| things more free in the long run and that ultimately there will be more free
| and open source software as a result. So--and the GPL is designed to protect
| that.
`----

http://news.oreilly.com/2008/06/turner-interviews-mako-hill.html

Related

My Tongue-Lashing from Eben Moglen

,----[ Quote ]
| He made a strong statement about why the Free Software Foundation ultimately
| chose not to close the "SaaS loophole" in GPLv3...
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/my_tonguelashin.html

Open Source and Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Moglen came out swinging, tossing out verbal jabs at the notion of Web 2.0
| and the apolitical notions of open source. Moglen asserted that he was being
| grumpy this morning because certain people had left the free software
| movement early to make money and left the free software folks to do all of
| the heavy lifting.
|
| [...]
|
| Moglen emphasized that Web 2.0 is nothing new under the sun, that the
| questions that O'Reilly was posing were coming up 10 years ago, and that the
| GPL v2 gave people like O'Reilly enough time, 10 years, to go off and make
| their millions and enjoy the fruits of free software's labors. And, Moglen
| added, the FSF, by releasing the GPL v3, just gave software vendors another
| 10 years to grow up and figure out what was really important and get freedom
| back into the conversation.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070724-115717.html

GPL author: Google must share code

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
| Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
| software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/052307-gpl-author-google-must-share.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2x5dvf

Pendulum has swung in the open source debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time, the term "open source" was coined to save the free-software
| world from itself--or, rather, from the free-software zealots, as you can
| read on the Open Source Initiative's Web site.
|
| Today, I can't help but feel that the pendulum has swung in the opposite
| direction, where we're so self-satisfied with the money we're making off open
| source that we have neglected the essential freedoms that make open-source
| profit possible.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9752966-7.html

Open Source is no Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| It is time we stop the term open source from getting hijacked. I recently
| wrote about how tech media doesn’t get open source. The events in the last
| week or so have confirmed my thesis further.
|
| [...]
|
| It is time for saner elements in the open source world to wake up and stop
| the abuse of the term open source by the tech media and companies like
| Microsoft. If we don’t do it now, the only other alternative is the free
| software movement and the business community may not be able to leverage the
| freedom offered by the free software then.
`----

http://www.krishworld.com/blog/open-source/open-source-is-no-web-20

Cries for help go out as open source mogul's radar breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| That very speech served as O'Reilly's attempt to make up for his evisceration
| as the hands of Free Software Foundation attorney Eben Moglen. One day
| earlier, Moglen charged O'Reilly with wasting too much time on hem lines,
| haircuts and the latest fluffy Web 2.0 start-up that looks like it might be
| acquired for a ridiculous amount of cash. O'Reilly had no counter on the
| actual day of Moglen's attack, but thought about the issues overnight.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/28/oscon_oreilly_radar/

Eben Moglen challenges Tim O'Reilly to "join the conversation"

,----[ Quote ]
| At the O'Reilly Open Source Convention today, Software Freedom Law Center
| director Eben Moglen threw down the gauntlet to O'Reilly founder and CEO Tim
| O'Reilly. Saying that O'Reilly had spent 10 years making money and building
| the O'Reilly name, Moglen invited O'Reilly to stop being "frivolous" and to
| join the conversation about software freedom.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118201

Web 2.0: Revolution or Hype?

,----[ Quote ]