[News] Mozilla/Linux Intersection in New Audiocast

Mozilla's Mitchell Baker to Headline Latest Linux Foundation Podcast in
the "Open Voices" Series

,----[ Quote ]
| The fifth Open Voices podcast installation features a conversation with
| Mozilla Chairman, Mitchell Baker, and the Linux Foundation Executive
| Director, Jim Zemlin.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/mozillas-mitchell-baker-headline-latest/story.aspx?guid=%7B8F4544C3-2C08-45D3-8E98-8188586A9BF7%7D&dist=hppr

Open Voices Interview with Mitchell Baker, Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
| The fifth Open Voices podcast installation features a conversation with
| Mozilla Chairman, Mitchell Baker, and the Linux Foundation Executive
| Director, Jim Zemlin. Baker admits that Mozilla’s open source strategy was in
| direct reaction to market and competitive pressures and calls out Microsoft
| for illegal activities
`----

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2008/08/19/mitchellbaker/

Mitchell Baker Transcript

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/mbakertranscript/

Recent:

Building the world we want, not the one we have

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s not much content encoded in Theora/Vorbis at this time - what’s the
| point?
|
| Ten years ago there wasn’t any content in H.264 but it is fairly common now.
| Until Flash video became common there wasn’t a ton of video content encoded
| in VP6.   New content is created all the time and transcoding to
| Theora/Vorbis is quite simple.   Shortly after Firefox 3.1 ships there will
| be almost 200M desktops capable of playing this kind of video.  Content
| should follow quickly.
|
| I can already watch video using Flash, Quicktime, Sliverlight, etc so what’s
| the point?
|
| Having native video/audio support as part of HTML5 along with open source and
| royalty free formats means that every browser vendor, device, etc can support
| this format.  If adopted widely it means that web authors will soon be able
| to use one format to target all devices.  As a native web technology video
| can now be intermixed with all other advancements in the web as seen here.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/schrep/2008/08/08/building-the-world-we-want-not-the-one-we-have/

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363