[News] OLPC XO Runs Full-fledged GNU/Linux Distros

Regular Linux desktops on the XO

,----[ Quoye ]
| Me and Bobby Powers have spent a few hours smoothing out the process of
| getting fully-featured Linux desktops to boot on the XO laptop. On the whole,
| OLPC developers have been pretty good at getting code upstream, so only a few
| fixups are needed to get things operational on the XO.
`----

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2008/08/regular-linux-desktops-on-the-xo/

Recent:

Falling in Love with the XO All Over Again

,----[ Quote ]
| The social aspects of Sugar are what make the XO so fun and so compelling.
| You just don’t experience it with a few XO’s in one place. David Cavallo is
| right when he says that the key to OLPC is saturation and integrating it into
| the fabric of education.
`----

http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/248

Related:

Continued Impressions of Ubuntu 7.10 on the EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone asked me today how Ubuntu was working on the EeePC.  It’s working
| great!  I thought I might share some of my experiences so far, after a bit
| more use.  If you are interested in installing Ubuntu 7.10 on your EeePC head
| on over to the Ubuntu Community Wiki and find out how!
`----

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/01/18/continued-impressions-of-ubuntu-710-on-the-eeepc/

[OLPC XO] Original UI , Unique Operation [Part 2]

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, the Sugar does not have a concept of files. As the PC is based on
| Linux, data are virtually located in files, of course. Nevertheless, the
| Sugar is basically designed to store every operation result as a "Journal."
|
| In addition, we need to download screen data to edit such an article. The
| Sugar automatically downloads the whole screen if both Alt and "1" keys are
| pressed. The XO also automatically recognizes a USB memory device if it is
| inserted. Using these capabilities, we took out and used screen data for
| article editing.
`----

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080118/145750/

First Look: OLPC's XO Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Again, to compare the OLPC to today's notebook is missing the point of the
| XO. It's intended as a sturdy, self-contained introduction to technology (and
| to the Web) for children in developing nations.  They haven't played with
| Nintendo Wiis or an Apple Macintosh, much less a Windows or Linux system.
| Without the OLPC effort, they may not have a laptop at all--and this one at
| least provides a durable start.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140931-c,notebooks/article.html

Lessons to Learn from the OLPC

,----[ Gist ]
| 1- Cheap is good
|
| 2- People don’t need a lot of power
|
| 3- Linux please
|
| 4- Flash storage is key
|
| 5- Make it efficient
|
| 6- Hand crank!
|
| 7- Don’t skimp on the features
|
| 8- Make it rugged
|
| 9- Make it look cool
|
| 10- It’s a tablet, too
`----

http://www.geek.com/lessons-to-learn-from-the-olpc/

One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

,----[ Quote ]
| For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
| deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
| Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
| laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

(Video) OLPC Interface Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]