[News] Belgian Company Reaches GNU/Linux Laptops Contract

Option unveils Compal as first MID customer

,----[ Quote ]
| The new MID also includes GlobeTrotter Connect for Linux: connection
| management software specially developed by Option for Mobile Internet Devices
| based on the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Atom(TM) processor technology. Option is
| currently working with Compal to secure certification and operator validation
| for this device in multiple markets.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/industrials/option-unveils-compal-mid-customer/

The big news of the day are those Ubuntu laptops from Dell. No Vista.

Recent:

Dell’s Mini Inspiron 910 Full Specs: Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we saw Dell launch some E-series business laptops, but the Dell
| Mini Inspiron was nowhere in sight. Today we get to see Dell’s first ever
| netbook in images, specs and also a potential release date.
`----

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/08/18/dells-mini-inspiron-910-full-specs-ubuntu-linux-or-windows-xp/

Leaked: Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini Note) Specs and Release Date

,----[ Quote ]
| The system will go on sale in just a few days—August 22nd our source says—but
| we still don't know whether or not that $299 starting price is just a myth.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5038298/leaked-dell-inspiron-910-mini-note-specs-and-release-date

Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
| processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2804

The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
| Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.

Sun xVM VirtualBox is now available

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc., has announced new multi-year original equipment
| manufacturer (OEM) agreements with Avanquest Software, Q-layer and Zenith
| InfoTech Ltd. to expand the global reach of Sun xVM VirtualBox.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Sun-xVM-VirtualBox-is-now-available/13808109003/0/

Dell introduces ten new laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
| the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
| Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
| the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/13/dell-introduces-laptops

Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
| spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
| into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
| fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
| snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
| because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
| to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
| Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
| Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
| if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2400

Dell’s comeback machine

,----[ Quote ]