[News] Number of Debian GNU/Linux Developers Exceeds Number of Windows Developers

  • Subject: [News] Number of Debian GNU/Linux Developers Exceeds Number of Windows Developers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:55:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Debian Project News - August 18th, 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| On 16 August 1993 Ian Murdock announced a new Linux distribution named
| Debian. 15 years later the project started by him is the biggest Linux
| distribution worldwide, offering more than 20 000 software packages
| maintained by over 1'000 volunteers, supporting more hardware architectures
| than any other Linux distribution, and providing a base for more than twenty
| active derivatives, like Knoppix, Skolelinux or Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2008/09/index.en.html

Microsoft has about 1000 developer working on Windows (and on Office), sliced
into 40 or 25 groups.

Why Debian is different

,----[ Quote ]
| The motive behind being part of Debian isn't that easily understood. The 11th
| and current Debian leader, Steve McIntyre, probably said it best: "Instead of
| people who are paid to do work as a day job, we have people around the world
| who are working on this because they passionately believe in what they are
| doing. It may not be the most efficient - we cannot promise a release every
| 12 months, for example, - but we have people who really want to do things
| like packaging etc the right way, not just working towards a deadline. We
| don't necessarily have to do something a particular way - we can do the right
| thing."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20105/1148/

"The number of developers working on improving Linux vastly exceeds the number
of Microsoft developers working on Windows NT."

                                                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft

Recent:

Deploying [Debian+] KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html