[News] GNU/Linux Desktops Already Spread with New IBM Program

IBM challenges Microsoft for the SME desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Just last week it announced a single deal with an as-yet-unnamed Asian
| company that it says will add 300,000 new seats to its Lotus Notes business.
|
| [...]
|
| To further up the ante, IBM has announced that it has forged partnerships
| with major hardware and Linux vendors to ensure that installing IBM business
| software on Linux systems is as painless as possible. Soon, Linux users will
| be able to obtain versions of IBM's Lotus Foundations software that have been
| specially packaged for installation on Novell Suse, Red Hat, or Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/inews/F858B679BB472DC5CC2574A900727DA3

Recent:

Lenovo Confirms It's Looking At IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Though nothing is final, Lenovo's participation in the project could vastly
| increase its reach and pose a significant threat to Microsoft's dominance of
| the desktop PC market.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209904400
http://tinyurl.com/696935

Lenovo In Talks To Join IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Program, Sources Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft-free software package features IBM's Lotus Notes and Lotus
| Symphony e-mail and desktop productivity suites, running on versions of
| Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209903851

Of Kids and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a good time to be bringing it up, because IBM has announced a stronger
| push for Linux PCs.
|
| Now, certainly, I'm not one of those prophets who go around predicting "the
| year of Linux on the desktop". There is no such animal. That isn't how open
| source grows. Open source grows slowly, a step at a time. But inevitably.
| Once a person has seen Linux for themselves, they are cured forever of the
| FUD spread about it. One by one, household by household. And most certainly
| generation by generation.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=of_kids_and_linux&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/5pmkeg

IBM's Ubuntu deal favors the server

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is the latest Linux disro to fall under the loving gaze of systems
| giant IBM, in its endless march to unseat Microsoft from business desktops
| and servers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/05/ibm_ubuntu/

IBM gets hip with 'cool' Ubuntu PC deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is, according to the suits at IBM, "a Linux operating system that
| scores high marks on usability and 'the cool factor.'"
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/05/ubuntu_ibm_linux_distros/

IBM targets Microsoft with desktop Linux initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| During a press briefing at LinuxWorld today in San Francisco, IBM announced a
| new partnership with Red Hat, Novell, and Canonical to offer "Microsoft-free"
| personal computers with IBM's Lotus Notes and Lotus Symphony software. The
| goal is to provide a preintegrated stack that can serve as a complete
| alternative to Windows and Microsoft Office.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/08/05/ibm-targets-microsoft-with-desktop-linux-initiative
http://tinyurl.com/6lktdy

IBM to open source supercomputing code

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said its HPC Open Source Software Stack, which includes IBM's
| Extreme Cluster Administration Toolkit, was its first ever contribution of
| open source code for supercomputing.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=433120766&rid=-50

Virtually Speaking: IBM Goes High on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| None of this is terribly surprising. Today, for many enterprises, Linux is
| just another operating system choice. In a clear case of
| be-careful-what-you-wish-for, it is as viable an option as some of the Unix
| heavyweights or Microsoft Windows, depending on the situation.
|
| The other wrench is the possibility that virtualization's gain is the
| operating system's loss, although given the hypervisor's potentially
| commodity status, it's gain may well be negligible.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3763356

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
| systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
| (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
| include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/26/linux-still-super-in-top500/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]