[News] KDE Development Insights

People Behind KDE: Michael Pyne

,----[ Quote ]
| What's your advice to people who want to get into KDE development-type stuff
| but don't know where to start?
|
|    1. Figure out if you want to "develop-develop" or if you would be better
|    at non-coding but still important types of tasks. I got my start in KDE
|    doing documentation even though I knew coding at the time. When I decided
|    I wanted to help with JuK the first thing I did was fix the documentation
|    as much as I could, which helped me learn the codebase, that proved useful
|    too.
|    2. If you do plan to do coding and you don't know programming, start
|    learning now. You can learn KDE and programming in parallel but you can't
|    start on C++ (or Python, etc.) too soon.
|    3. Learn Qt first.
`----

http://behindkde.org/people/mpyne/

Recent:

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

KDE 4.1 in the press

,----[ Quote ]
| Note to the German readers: I like the review at golem.de (scroll down to
| find the exact URL!), it’s very comprehensive. If you have a not-so-geeky
| partner and are tired of looking at a blank face when you’re talking about
| the new KDE, you should definitively point her or him there.
`----

http://untangled.biz/blog/kde/kde-41-in-the-press/

KDE 4.1 adoption seems high

,----[ Quote ]