[News] Windows Needs to Be Like GNU/Linux... Some Day in The Future

The end of Windows as we knew it

,----[ Quote ]
| Which may be why Microsoft is trying to figure out ways to extend its desktop
| dominance to the cloud, using the desktop as a receiver and transmitter of
| data from and to the cloud. Windows 7 is likely to take us a ways toward that
| vision, but Midori is its realization. This is why I view efforts like
| Canonical's to open up the cloud by opening up the desktop so important.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10018562-16.html

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars