[News] Corrupted ISO/Microsoft Could be Replaced by Developing Nations

ISO blows fanfare for OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| There are now two incompatible, international document standards on which the
| world can conduct its discourse, manage its business, and record its
| archives: Odf, which was produced by the people, for the people; and OOXML,
| which was produced by Microsoft, the convicted monopolist.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/16/iso-blows-fanfare-ooxml

OpenXML: End of story - appeals rejected

,----[ Quote ]
| ISO IS NOT ANYMORE THE APPROPRIATE AND LEGITIM FORUM TO DEAL WITH THE
| STANDARDISATION NEEDS AND ASPIRATIONS OF DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.
|
| [...]
|
| As a Brazilian and as a person who lost a year of life working seriously on
| it, I can only feel offended and attacked with this decision.
|
| I believe that the time has come for developing countries unite to build an
| International Standardization Institution that is appropriate to our reality,
| that understands our problems and aspirations and that treat us with the
| minimum amount of respect and dignity. Enough to be being used to legitimize
| the desires of someone else. While we’re in developement, we have the unique
| opportunity to develop (and change) the world and, we cannot let it go away.
`----

http://homembit.com/2008/08/openxml-end-of-story-appeals-rejected.html

He is not the first to suggest that. Indians feel the same way.

The European investigation is still happening. More grounds for an embrago
against Microsoft the executives, which Judge Jackson called "Criminals!"

Recent:

Beating a dead horse

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been 3 months since ISO made that April 1st gag when they declared OOXML
| a valid candidate for an "open standard", even though it's riddled with
| patents.
|
| Microsoft made the situation even more ridiculous by making available, after
| April 1st, documents that are absolutely necessary in order to fully
| implement their file formats. Well, if those documents were not part of the
| ISO proposal in the first place, then what is the ISO proposal good for?
| Isn't an "open standard" meant to be implemented by more than one vendor?
|
| Completely, utterly, shamelessly, ridiculous. Typical Microsoft.
|
| Let's get on with the ridicule. Remember the days before April 1st? A day
| could not pass without a number of so-called independent companies claiming
| support for OOXML in one way or another, and telling how good it was. Well,
| since April 1st, it's like not a single freaking person cares about it.
| Silence. How so? Wasn't it a fraud to begin with?
|
| [...]
|
| How is this project going on? Let's see for yourself on this web page. The
| project is still a 1st revision source code dump, and it's 4-month old. It's
| hard not to laugh.
|
| Who thought Microsoft was serious when they started this project? Everyone
| worth his salt knows that a project like this involves an almost complete
| rewrite of both engines, and it could take a decade to do so. It's ridiculous
| to think that a company or independent people would spend their lives
| essentially rewriting Microsoft Office code base (the non UI part). After
| all, isn't it what was essentially done already with OpenOffice? Why isn't
| Microsoft instead pledging support for the OpenOffice suite by helping
| implement the undocumented stuff? Alternatively, why don't they instead open
| source their compatibility pack, a component that migrates Office documents
| back and forth?
|
| It gets better.
|
| Earlier this month, Microsoft released another 5000+ pages of documentation.
| This additional documentation is a direct acknowledgement that what I have
| been saying on this blog was spot on, which is that the documentation that
| was made available earlier was just a fraction of what was needed to
| implement a full run-time of Office documents. At least Microsoft gives way
| to a so-called anti-Microsoft person.
`----

http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/2008/07/beating-dead-horse.html

ISO chief recommends to throw away the 4 appeals against OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Alan Bryden, Secretary-General of ISO, has sent a recommendation to all
| countries members of the TMB (Technical Management Board) asking them to
| throw away the 4 appeals tabled by South Africa, Brazil, Venezuela and India.
| He does not however justify its position in regard of the JTC1 directives.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-73380/iso-chief-recommends-to-throw-away-the-4-appeals-against-ooxml

ISO to TMB: Here Are the Appeals Against OOXML; They Should Be Denied

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, it's all been a farce, in keeping with the rest of the OOXML
| processing. ISO thinks there not a thing wrong with the job they did on
| OOXML, they do not countenance criticism, and if we don't like it, we can
| lump it. Or, ISO has decided to go down with the ship. Anyway, stay tuned. It
| ain't over 'til it's over.

ISO TMB Recommends Rejection of OOXML Appeals

,----[ Quote ]
| A final source of frustration is that despite the fact that one basis for
| appeal under the Directives is a negative impact to the reputation of
| ISO/IEC, the document makes almost no response at all to the comments made in
| this regard.  Whether one concludes that ISO and IEC have justifiably or
| unjustifiably suffered such an impact, I think that it would be hard to
| conclude that a substantial hit has not been taken.
|
| In my view, ISO/IEC would be wise to acknowledge that fact, and take more
| intelligent actions to address it.  Acting in the open (i.e., publicly
| releasing documents like this) and acknowledging that those that must live
| with the results of what ISO/IEC decides are entitled to better answers than
| they have received to date would be a great place to start.
|
| [...]
|
| At the end of the day, even winning an appeal is cold comfort after the time
| has been wasted by countless peole around the world, the marketplace has been
| confused, and the reputation has been tarnished.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080709060030380

The month of the zombie standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Ah, here we are back in 2007, in the good old summer 2007 where everything
| for the ISO was fine. Everything works just fine, there’s nothing to see, so
| mind your own business folks. Worldwide fraud, four appeals for a standard
| that has “been conducted in conformity with the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives”
| pressures on governments standards bodies, one investigation on OOXML led by
| the European Commission… and appeals “should not be processed further”?
|
| Somehow I think we have missed one thing or two with the ISO. I don’t exactly
| know what it is we missed. Perhaps it was a better understanding of how they
| work. Perhaps it was money. Perhaps it was just all about taking them out for
| a walk and show them the world before they all got brainwashed.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/07/09/the-month-of-the-zombie-standards/

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777