[News] Early Look at Firefox Mobile (Fennec), Opera Reaches 9.52 RC1

How Will Mozilla's Fennec Mobile Browser Look and Feel?

,----[ Quote ]
| As we wrote about the other day, Mozilla has reached a sixth developer
| milestone for its Fennec browser--intended for mobile handsets and platforms.
| Fennec (the word means "small fox") is a very critical browser in Mozilla's
| overall strategy, and we've written about why before. It's slated to be
| available for the upcoming wave of Linux- and Android-based mobile handsets
| due out later this year, where it could be a key open source application for
| them. As part of its concept series of videos and screencasts, there is a
| screencast illustrating how some of the user interface for Fennec may work in
| the final version. Here's how it looks...
`----

http://ostatic.com/170870-blog/how-will-mozillas-fennec-mobile-browser-look-and-feel

[Opera] 9.52 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the first release candidate for 9.52. Please focus your testing on
| regressions since 9.51.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/08/14/9-52-rc1-2

Recent:

Fennec future tied to Android and LiMo

,----[ Quote ]
| The fate of Fennec Fox, the code-name for Mozilla’s mobile browser, is tied
| closely to that of the Android and LiMo phones now under development.
|
| [...]
|
| The LiMo and Android phones, like the iPhone, are due to be mobile Internet
| clients, not really phones at all. They need wide pipes, not the skinny pipes
| mobile carriers now allow for selling discrete bits of data like ringtones,
| wallpapers and SMS.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2567

Fennec: development of the younger brother of Firefox 3 mobile intensifies

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla is preparing to publish the final version of the Firefox browser 3
| and began a more intensive phase of development of Firefox Mobile, which is
| expected to have a first glimpse in September.
`----

http://www.tebyte.com/2008/06/fennec-development-of-the-younger-brother-of-firefox-3-mobile-intensifies.html
http://tinyurl.com/5wotj7

Mozilla previews Firefox Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Labs has posted a video preview, source code, and an online demo of
| its forthcoming mobile web browser. Code-named "Fennec" for now, Firefox
| Mobile features an innovative full-screen, finger-friendly interface with
| iPhone-like "kinetic" scrolling, and a Mac-like "expose" feature for tabs.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition to the above video preview, Mozilla Labs has released source code
| for the demo, plus a simulation that runs -- with many rough edges -- within
| a desktop version of Firefox. The concept may also be developed into a
| Firefox extension, Raskin adds.

Firefox Goes Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no doubt that it's getting easier to access the Web on a mobile
| device. Thanks to the iPhone and Apple's Web browser, Safari, millions of
| people feel as though they finally have the Internet in their pocket. But
| there's still a lot of work that needs to be done in order to allow for the
| kind of innovation on the mobile Web that is possible on the traditional Web,
| says Mitchell Baker, chairman of Mozilla, maker of the Firefox browser.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=telecom&id=20681&a=

Mozilla's Chairman Confirms Progress on a New Mobile Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Web 2.0 conference in San Francisco today, Mozilla Chairman Mitchell
| Baker gave an address on opening the mobile web, which Webware did a nice job
| of analyzing. Many people have been wondering if Mozilla will deliver a
| version of the Firefox browser to work with the many Linux-based phones
| currently in the works, including phones based on Google's Android platform.
|
| [...]
|
| As I covered in a recent post on whether Linux can quickly grab a significant
| part of the mobile phone market, there are some good indications that it may.
| At the recent Mobile World Congress conference, there were more than 20 new
| mobile phones based on Linux announced, most of them using the LiMo platform.
`----

http://ostatic.com/160036-blog/mozillas-chairman-confirms-progress-on-a-new-mobile-browser

Is your (mobile) browser ready for the Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| I co-chair the Mobile Web Test Suites Working Group: this group aims at
| improving the interoperability of browsers on mobile devices through the
| development and the diffusion of test suites for Web technologies that work
| on mobile devices.
`----

http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/04/is_your_mobile_browser_ready_f.html

Related:

Mozilla's Firefox strategy includes mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Baker said the company is also investigating mobile content
| services with a server component, similar to Opera Mini.

First Look at Minimo

,----[ Quote ]
| I was very impressed with minimo. Actually, using minimo showed me
| that mobile net access might just work. Everyone has been predicting
| the mobile revolution but I never thought it would happen simply
| because the screen are too small and the interfaces cramped. Somehow,
| minimo sidesteps all these and it made a convert out of me.
`----

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/fun-web/first-look-at-minimo

New Mozilla mobile browser out, amid more competition

,----[ Quote ]
| Minimo is designed to be an alternative to the browser that comes
| with Windows Mobile and its creators promote its speed in accessing
| sites and other features such as tabs, better security and support
| for widgets.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/033007-new-mozilla-mobile-browser-out.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2tt2br

Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| To fulfil the aims of our mission and in response to the technical
| challenges that these devices pose, we are announcing the Ubuntu Mobile and
| Embedded project.
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-May/000289.html

Mozilla's Mobile Firefox Targets Summer Release

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148279/mozillas_mobile_firefox_targets_summer_release.html