[News] Video of Richard Stallman's Latest Talk

Videocast: Richard Stallman in New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Stallman's tour of New Zealand has covered issues of copyright and
| the free software movement. He is fervently against restrictions on sharing,
| saying such restrictions are an attack on society.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/1461E04FC8D3293FCC2574A500173A09

Recent:

Richard Stallman and how easily we have traded away our freedom to share.

,----[ Quote ]
| I enjoyed Richard Stallman’s talk on Copyright vs Community in the Age of
| Computer Networks in Auckland on Friday.  Nix has gazumped me, her post and
| the links provided well capture the way in which rms unwrapped his thinking
| for the audience.  I much admired the way in which complex ideas were
| simplified and framed in historical, legal, economic, political and societal
| contexts to maximise the connections made.  Stallman must have given this
| presentation many times before, yet apart from a sense that none of the
| questions asked at the end of the session challenged what he had heard
| before, he was persuasively passionate in his delivery.   Powerful thinking
| and provocative ideas were shared in a way that made them available for all.
`----

http://artichoke.typepad.com/artichoke/2008/08/richard-stallman-and-how-easily-we-have-traded-away-our-freedom-to-share.html

Richard Stallman lives and works by his principles

,----[ Quote ]
| Not enough of us are willing to truly sacrifice for the principles we believe
| in. If for no other reason than that, Stallman has earned the admiration he
| has inspired.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=323954&source=rss_topic122

Copyright Depth Perception

,----[ Quote ]
| Friday saw a trip into town with Artichoke to see and hear Richard Stallman
| talking about Copyright vs Community in the Age of Computer Networks. RMS (as
| he likes to be known) was very engaging and spoke passionately about why
| there should be dramatic changes in global copyright law. The lecture theatre
| was packed to overflowing with the cream of Auckland’s Geekerarti and we were
| right in the thick of it.
`----

http://www.nixit.co.nz/wordpress/2008/08/10/copyright-depth-perception/

Free software pioneer Richard Stallman on his experience in Cuba

,----[ Quote ]
| In February of last year, Richard M. Stallman, founder and president of the
| Free Software Foundation, spoke at the International Conference on
| Communication and Technologies in Havana about what he strongly believes are
| the merits of non-proprietary software. I recently learned directly from
| Stallman what that experience was like.
|
| I interviewed Stallman at length on July 31 outside his MIT office, and I'll
| post the interview on our site in the near future. Here's an excerpt in which
| Stallman talked about his time in Cuba.
|
| [...]
|
| DT: I've editorialized that U.S. companies should be allowed to compete in
| Cuba. What's your position on that?
|
| RMS: I really don't care. From my point of view, business issues are minor in
| comparison with issues of human rights and general well-being. And I reject
| completely the assumption that the way to improve people's well-being is
| always through a market. A market is a tool, and for some things it's very
| good. It can work well in some areas of life, as long as somebody is making
| sure it doesn't go haywire. One of the things we see when businesses have too
| much power is that they corrupt those watchdogs, and we see this in the U.S.
| all the time. The U.S. government has ceased to effectively monitor the
| market to make sure it works well. Instead, it is a tool in the hands of big
| business. So instead of capitalism of a useful kind, we now have extreme
| capitalism, which is thoroughly corrupt. And the results of that are
| increasingly bad, here and everywhere else.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/stallman_on_cuba

Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

,----[ Quote ]