[News] Irish Government Approaches FOSS; Microsoft FOSS Insider Jumps Ship

Northern Ireland plugs open source hybrid

,----[ Quote ]
| COUNCILS across Northern Ireland are being encouraged to join a co-operative
| software movement that has stood in defiance of the occupation of government
| computer departments by multinational suppliers in big-ticket deals.
|
| The Northern Ireland Department of the Environment has advised the country's
| 26 councils to join the Local Authority Content Management System (LA CRM)
| partnership, which develops its system collaboratively with councils across
| the UK under the lead of Belfast City Council.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/15/northern-ireland-plugs-open

- From this proprietary software company (headed by a former Microsoft employee):

Levin out as Black Duck’s CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| Black Duck Software — a pioneer in the open source legal consulting business
| — has lost its CEO.
|
| On Thursday, Douglas Levin, the company founder and a director at the
| Waltham,  Mass.-based company, announced his resignation, effective Sept. 1.
|
| The announcement came the same day that a federal appeals court issued a
| decision maintaining that open source licenses are valid under copyright law.
| Black Duck Software is a software and services company that advises
| developers and corporations about open source licensing requirements and
| compliance.
|
| Are the two related?
|
| No, Levin said in a broadcast email and blog posted yesterday.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2790

They sell FUD and they sell proprietary software. Seems like good news.

Related:

Palamida: Rival snitched open-source database

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9803799-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20