Re: IBM 'advises' staff to opt for a Microsoft Office-free world

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

____/ Rex Ballard on Saturday 16 August 2008 06:54 : \____

<quote>
Big Blue’s 20,000-strong techies have been advised to ditch Microsoft
Office and use open standards software such as Lotus Symphony instead.

IBM chief information officer Mark Hennessey and veep Gina Poole
issued a memo yesterday urging the firm’s staff to take “a new, more
integrated approach to desktop productivity software", reports the
Irish Times.
</quote>

I can't comment either, other than to say I've seen the memo.

They should stick with OOo and accompanying FOSS  mail/calendaring instead
(e.g. Thunderbird, Evolution with Sunbird, Chandler, or whatever).

Lotus is /proprietary/ software. IBM asks these people to just swap masters.

Lotus Symphony is supposed to conform to ODF. If it really does, there is no lockin, and I don't see any obvious problem. It leads to the question of whether the competition will be bad (by dividing the ODF effort) or good for OOo. Or is it that you think IBM might try to muscle in on the standard?