Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
> Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

>> I seem to recall investigating leased lines at the time, but all of
>> the products I looked at were in the 10K bracket, and were all
>> oriented to business use.
>
> 10kpa or 10kpcm?  If it's 10kpa, then it's less expensive?

IIRC the average price was around 10K per year, which would have been 6K
more than I was paying (1K per quarter, 4K per year).

>> ATM it's not really an issue, since I sync at 8Mb and get a steady
>> 6.5Mb on most days (Entanet). The cost of a second line doesn't
>> really appeal to me either :( Although 16Mb bonded does sound nice
>> in theory.
>
> That's a good rate, better than I get here, to be honest :-)

It's always been good here, because I'm so close to the exchange that I
could probably spit on it from an upstairs window ... in a high wind :)

>> My exchange covers 3 houses and a post office (OK, that's a
>> /slight/ underestimation), so the contention round these parts is
>> pretty low :)
>
> In which case, you're pretty well off, I'd say.

And that's unlikely to change AFAICT, since if anything the population
in this area is actually /declining/. Strange but true. Oh well, more
bandwidth for me then ... and more peace and quiet :)

>>> You canna change the laws of physics.
>>
>> You misspelled "cannae", Scotty :)
>>
>> (As in "Ye cannae shove yer grannie aff the bus".)
>
> My fault for using foreign languages, I suppose :-)  In yorks, nay is
> spelt nay :-)

Actually it's lowland Scots, which evolved from a derivative of
"Ænglisc" (Old English, introduced to Britain by the Angles, a.k.a.
Anglo-Saxons, who settled in Northumbria from Angeln in Germany), known
as "Inglis" (Early North Middle English, spoken by the Norman
conquerors' proletariat). So strictly speaking, Modern English and Scots
are both derived from the same mixture of Germanic and Scandinavian
languages, but with slightly different influences.

To further confuse matters, there's also "canny" (Inglis), which has a
variety of subtly different meanings depending on the context (e.g.
shrewd, prudent, thrifty, pleasant, clever, etc.).

Then there's Scotland's oldest surviving language (after the now dead
language of Pictish), Gàidhlig (Scottish Gaelic, which pre-dates Scots
by over 600 years, and was introduced to Scotland by Irish settlers in
the 5th century), which roughly translates "cannot" to "ní fhéadfar"
(literally "not allowed" or "not possible". There's doesn't seem to be
much of a distinction between "can" and "may" in Gàidhlig AFAICT,
suggesting that the Celts were/are rather anarchistic, believing that if
something was possible then it was therefore permissible ... presumably.

According to the Etymology Dictionary, "nay" originated circa 1175 as a
derivative of "nei", compound of ne "not" + ei "ever", so I can easily
see how "nei" "nae" and "nay" evolved.

My native tongue is actually Doric, which is a dialect of Scots peculiar
to the NE of Scotland, rather than a language in itself. AFAIK "cannae"
is the same in both Scots and Doric. Doric speakers are sometimes
disparagingly referred to as "fit-likers" ("whit" pronounced "fit" =
"what", and "what like" = "what are you like?", i.e. "how are you?") by
Lowland Scots (e.g. Glaswegians, or pejoratively "Wegies"; pronounced
"wee-gees"). One of the funnier phrases in Doric is "Whaur aboots" =
"Where (about) is <something>?", which is often deliberately
mispronounced as "Furry boots" for humorous effect.

Interestingly enough I discovered that the Wikipedia article on Doric is
actually available in Scots (I didn't even know there /was/ a Scots
version of Wikipedia until now):

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric

Although the English version has more detail ATM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_dialect_(Scotland)

Onywey, A divnae ken furry boots A'm gaun wi this threed, sae A'll jist
gi' up thir. :)

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
| longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
| ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083

 20:26:50 up 238 days, 17:02,  3 users,  load average: 1.39, 1.15, 1.11