[News] Mozilla Explains Backing of Ogg, Fluendo Pays Microsoft Tax

Building the world we want, not the one we have

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s not much content encoded in Theora/Vorbis at this time - what’s the
| point?
|
| Ten years ago there wasn’t any content in H.264 but it is fairly common now.
| Until Flash video became common there wasn’t a ton of video content encoded
| in VP6.   New content is created all the time and transcoding to
| Theora/Vorbis is quite simple.   Shortly after Firefox 3.1 ships there will
| be almost 200M desktops capable of playing this kind of video.  Content
| should follow quickly.
|
| I can already watch video using Flash, Quicktime, Sliverlight, etc so what’s
| the point?
|
| Having native video/audio support as part of HTML5 along with open source and
| royalty free formats means that every browser vendor, device, etc can support
| this format.  If adopted widely it means that web authors will soon be able
| to use one format to target all devices.  As a native web technology video
| can now be intermixed with all other advancements in the web as seen here.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/schrep/2008/08/08/building-the-world-we-want-not-the-one-we-have/

It's intended to prevent this type of thing:

Fluendo walks the line between free and proprietary codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite all its advances, GNU/Linux remains weak in its support for
| proprietary audio and video codecs. Because these codecs are often encumbered
| by patents, distributions must choose either to include support of
| questionable legality or else exclude it altogether. In the middle of this
| controversy sits Fluendo, a Catalan company of about 50 employees that is a
| main contributor to projects like GStreamer, and supports open formats, but
| also offers licensed, proprietary codecs such as Windows Media Video and
| MPEG4. While many would argue that this dual position is necessary, it's one
| that sometimes creates an unasy balance for the company, says Muriel
| Moscardini, Fluendo's sale director.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/143418

Related:

The Microsoft Tax revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| Rudyard Kipling retained the services of six honest serving men who
| taught him all he knew (What and Why, When and How and Where and Who).
| By contrast the Bobsey twins at Microsoft, Steve and Bill, were so clever
| that they managed to downsize these faithful old retainers--and
| renamed them while they were at it. Now they are just two: ignorance
| and inertia. With these, they mused, we will conqueror the world. A
| depressingly near monopolistic market share seems to prove them right;
| and why not? After all, to paraphrase Hillare Belloc: they have the
| Microsoft Tax and we do not.
|
| They have the Microsoft Tax and we do not
|
| [...]
|
| In conclusion, refunds have been thin on the ground but they have acted as
| a catalyst for looking at the convoluted nature of EULAS, OEM licences and
| sundry evils. When I started using and promoting GNU/Linux, I thought, in
| my naive innocence, that I had it all down pat. How little I knew! I was,
| in fact, mired in a bog of ignorance. However, if you?re not going to build
| you own PC/laptop and you?ve done six impossible things before breakfast at
| Milliways restaurant why not round it all off with an demand for a
| Microsoft Tax refund. Good luck.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/the_microsoft_tax_revisited

Microsoft in tax evasion soup