[News] Linux Gets New Features for Indexing, Change Tracking, Security

Tux3 Hierarchical Structure

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is about time to take a step back and describe what I have been
| implementing," began Daniel Phillips, referring to his new Tux3 filesystem.
| He provided a simple ASCII diagram that detailed the filesystem's
| hierarchical structure, describing each of the elements.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Tux3_Hierarchical_Structure

Kernel space: Virus scanning API spawns security debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Even if one is not concerned about malware infections on Linux systems, a lot
| of files destined for more vulnerable platforms can pass through Linux
| servers. There is also the potential for the detection of attempted exploits
| of the Linux host. Normally, in the Linux world, the way we respond to
| knowledge of a specific vulnerability is to patch the problem rather than
| scan for exploits, but there may be systems which cannot be restarted on
| short notice, and which could benefit from an updated scanning database while
| running code with known vulnerabilities. Also, as Alan Cox pointed out, this
| feature could be useful for entirely different objectives, such as efficient
| indexing of files as they change.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/081208-kernel.html

Highlighting Interesting Mailing List Discussions

,----[ Quote ]
| Going forward, I plan to focus on improving the online mailing list
| interfaces, making it easier to read the many mailing lists from these pages,
| and to use them to highlight interesting mailing list discussions. I welcome
| all suggestions on any improvements you can suggest toward this end!
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/KernelTrap/Highlighting_Interesting_Mailing_List_Discussions

Recent:

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Amazing 3D view of linux kernels..

,----[ Quote ]
| These are 3D renderings of dependencies in the Linux kernel source code.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14727

Linux Will Be Worth $1 Billion In First 100 Days of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The kernel development process is adding 2,000 lines of code a day or roughly
| another 160,000 by the end of 2007. By the end of 2008, it will have added
| another 730,000. So the kernel will have close to 6.4 millions lines of code,
| using Wheeler's methodology, at the end of next year. Sometime during the
| first 100 days of 2009, Linux will cross the 6.6 million lines of code mark
| and $1 billion in value.
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Microsoft's death knell for Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006221o-2000331777b,00.htm