Re: [News] GNU/Linux Usage Cannot be Counted (and How It Slows Adoption)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:04:14 -0400
<1a8pyt7z5b8no$.1grgzuceqql5k$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:40:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> Until a survey, can you say Gartner, comes along and portrays Linux usage
> in a good light.
>
> Then all of a sudden Linux usage can be counted.
>
> IOW a typical Linux nut talking out of both sides of his arse.
>
> Oh, it's Schestowitz that posted this.
> Well that explains it.

http://www.linux.com/feature/39562

Gartner report on Linux computers aiding Windows piracy may be correct
-- for now

     Last month Gartner released a report with the title,
     "Linux Has a Fight on its Hands in Emerging PC
     Markets." The report's summary says, "Vendors in these
     markets often sell PCs with Linux to avoid Microsoft's
     fees. But about 80 percent of these machines end up
     running pirate copies of Windows. We assess Linux's
     prospects as Microsoft starts to get tough." I spoke
     with Annette Jump, the report's author, and she isn't
     sure the future of desktop Linux is as bleak as that
     headline and summary make it sound.

     [...]

     Gartner believes that, worldwide, about 5% of all
     new PCs are now being shipped with Linux, and about
     1.3% of all currently installed PCs run Linux, with
     2.5% running Mac OS, while the rest -- over 96% --
     run Windows.

That's the good news.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Linux-poised-for-desktop-failure-Gartner/0,130061733,120269971,00.htm

Linux poised for desktop failure: Gartner

     Despite a recent surge in interest in Linux, it will
     fail to make much of an impression on the desktop,
     claims a Gartner analyst.

     Linux will be deployed on no more than five percent
     of desktops over the next two to three years because
     of a lack of viable applications, claimed Gartner
     research director Phil Sargeant on Thursday evening
     at the Gartner Symposium and ITXpo.

     "There's quite a lack of tools in that particular
     space," said Sargeant. "We are going to need to see
     more tools if it's to make any inroads." He cited
     StarOffice and Open Office as examples of the few
     good tools available.

     [...]

     "Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is a really big
     topic with everybody I speak to because there
     is a perception that everything is free," said
     Sargeant. However, there are lots of components to a
     business's IT budget, including the operating system,
     hardware, applications and maintenance costs.

     "They will probably be deploying a number of
     licensed products on a Linux base. So they have to
     ask themselves if, at the end of the day, they will
     save money."

     At the low end of town TCO could be a factor in
     implementing Linux, according to Sargeant. "As you
     move into high-end, heterogenous mission-critical
     areas it will be much harder to see TCO advantages,"
     he said.

Not could be.  *IS*.  The main problem is measuring it properly.

That's the bad news.  Even worse news: the above is 4
years back, and the predictions have largely come true:
Linux at best is holding on to 5% of the desktop.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail