[News] KDE Integrates with the Web, SaaS the Route to Winning the Desktop

plasmoids in firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| George Goldberg appeared yesterday with a Netscape plugin for Plasma,
| allowing us to run Plasma applets in browsers that use Netscape plugins, such
| as Firefox (though certainly not limited to Firefox; many browsers support
| Netscape plugins).
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/08/plasmoids-in-firefox.html

Software as a Service is a key to Linux Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of users like to use and want to be able to print greeting cards at
| home. I am not one of them, but my wife is. So are many people I know. They
| consider it big time saver and have the opportunity to customize and make a
| card or printed item more personal by having access to software like this.
|
| What other kinds of software is missing from the free software world that
| hasn't made it over yet? How many of these are available as a service? A
| great many of them.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2008/08/software-as-service-is-key-to-linux.html

Recent:

Brad Neuberg, Google Gears, and the future of the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| "I like to make browsers do things that they weren't supposed to do," Brad
| Neuberg likes to say. As a developer advocate for Google Gears, Neuberg has a
| wide scope for pursuing this interest, not only as an active developer, but
| also as a frequent speaker at conferences. His message is that Gears is not a
| means of working offline with Internet content -- which, so far has been its
| main function in applications like Google Reader and Google Calendar -- but
| also a potential universal update mechanism for browsers that could help to
| keep the Web free.
|
| In many ways, Neuberg seems a natural fit for Google's Gears team and its
| emphasis on working offline. Having once had the ambition of making a
| Web-based collaborative word processor that would work offline, he is also
| the writer of Dojo Offline and Dojo Storage, two of the major components in
| Dojo Toolkit, the well-known JavaScript and Ajax library. In addition, he has
| worked on getting a wiki he develops called Kiwi to work offline, and with
| the commercial company Rojo, a Web-based feed reader. He says, "In general,
| I've been thinking about how to make new kinds of browsers, new versions of
| the Web -- pushing the boundary and hacking around with them."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133558

Webtop software development with LAMP and Prism (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Bridging the gap between the desktop and the Internet is becoming easier and
| easier. In this video I show you how to create an application that looks and
| feels like a desktop application but runs on a typical Linux, Apache, MySQL,
| and PHP stack. The application has a back end database, is written in PHP,
| and uses Mozilla XUL instead of HTML. I also discuss how to use Mozilla Prism
| to create a streamlined version of the application that will run outside of a
| typical Web browser.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132423

Related:

Mozilla's Prism to bring Web apps to desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla now has prototypes of Prism running on Windows with early versions on
| Mac and Linux under way.
|
| Future versions include offline access to information with Firefox 3 and
| three-dimensional graphics.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805103-7.html

Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-offline-apps.html