[News] Poland's Education Still Leans Towards Free Software

Poland: Ministry of Education recommends Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Polish Ministry of National Education is advising schools and
| universities to use Open Source software. The recommendation comes at the end
| of a volunteer campaign to help schools switch to Open Source.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/1213/1/lang,en

After Microsoft's OOXML corruptions in Poland (well documented), it would make
sense to look away from proprietary software. If it's not evil, its vendor is.

Recent:

PL: Ministry of Education recommends Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Polish Ministry of National Education is advising schools and
| universities to use Open Source software. The recommendation comes at the end
| of a volunteer campaign to help schools switch to Open Source.
|
| The Ministry recommended in a statement that schools and universities use
| OpenOffice. The application suite is sufficiently mature and advanced to be
| used for teaching and for office use in education and science
| institutes. "OpenOffice can successfully substitute proprietary applications
| and will result in significant savings on licenses."
`----

http://osor.eu/news/pl-ministry-of-education-recommends-open-source

OOXML ISO aftermath in Poland

,----[ Quote ]
| Tomasz Bednarski (Mandriva Poland) wrote a letter to PKN president, Tomasz
| Schweitzer, in which he expressed his concerns about the Polish OOXML
| ratification process which Bednarski took part of, as a member of the
| technical committee 182. We publish the translation of his letter and the
| response from Schweitzer.
|
| [...]
|
| So, it seems that the OOXML saga in Poland is far from over and there will be
| more proceedings in the nearest future, which we will pass to you as soon as
| we hear about them. Thank you for now.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/ooxml-iso-aftermath-in-poland/

Related:

Polish chairwoman distributes Microsoft propaganda

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chairwoman of the polish Technical Committee has distributed
| documentation about the BRM authored by Microsoft. She has also changed the
| voting rules for the email ballot to "If you don't vote, it is counted as a
| YES", and she has threatened to sue committee members if they spread
| accusations. What a nice broken chairwoman they have in Poland.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49455/polish-chairwoman-distributes-microsoft-propaganda

"Abstain from voting"

| Evil! "Abstain from voting" means no new vote will get submitted, so the
| September vote will be carried! In the case of Poland it was an approval vote
| for the OOOXML standard with comments attached. Yes, Poland felt it could
| support the approval of a standard candidate that got more than 2300 pages of
| dispositions of comments. And now the logic I fail to get is: if we fail to
| approve we do nothing and carry the previous approval vote. ISO procudures
| sometimes feel like a witch test.
|
| "Abstain from voting" != submission of an "Abstain" vote.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-48992/abstain-from-voting

Possible manipulation around OOXML process in Poland

,----[ Quote ]
| Just to remind you, on Thursday’s meeting 12 members voted for OOXML, 10
| members voted against it and 2 abstained from voting. As the consensus has
| not been achieved, Andrukiewicz decided that the voting should continue by
| e-mail and all the missing members should be allowed to vote. What she did
| not mention is that if the missing members fail to send her an e-mail with
| their stance, it will be automatically assumed they vote yes. This is one of
| the crazy rules of PKN process of opinioning new ISO standards.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/possible-manipulation-around-ooxml-process-in-poland/

Poland Fails to Approve OOXML; Chairman Decides Members Can Vote by Email 10
More Days - huh?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is different. There is a report by Borys Musielak of PolishLinux.org
| that Poland met to vote on OOXML on Thursday. Of 45 members of the committee
| eligible to vote, 24 showed up to vote, and it split almost down the middle,
| with 12 for, 10 against and 2 abstaining. This is extraordinary, since Poland
| voted yes in September, despite the technical committee being opposed. I call
| that progress.
|
| But here is the worrying part: when it became clear that there was no
| consensus, and it was not going to be a Yes vote, the chairman "decided to
| allow the missing members to vote by e-mail during the next 10 days".
|
| What to make of a process that keeps reinventing itself as it goes along?

No consensus over OOXML in Poland, yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Thursday PKN (Polish Normalization Committee) had a meeting on which it
| was supposed to come up with the decision concerning Polish recommendation
| for ISO/IEC DIS 29500 (OOXML) proposed standard. The common stance has not
| been acheived.
|
| [...]
|
| Yes, we do know a few more details concerning the process and the type of
| dirty politics that took place just before and during the meeting, but we are
| not going to releal it just yet, hoping that the chairman of KT 182 and the
| PKN itself makes a proper decision in the end (which is to abstain from
| voting as there has been no consensus about OOXML in KT).
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/no-consensus-over-ooxml-in-poland-yet/

Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
| strange.
|
| Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
| OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
| Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
| consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
| were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
| Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
| yes.
|
| Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
| slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
| the KT 182 meeting.
|
| When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
| file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
| threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
| author.
|
| That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
| delegates had complained about it.

ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
OpenDocument Format

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
| cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
| to improving access to electronic government documents, today
| applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
| preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
| government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
| national standard.
|
| The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
| interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
| its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
| agencies.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

Poland against OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| Polish Technical Committee no 171 has just voted 80% against the adoption
| OOXML as an ISO standard [PL].
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/poland-against-ooxml/

Polish National Interoperability Framework promotes Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This basically means that Microsoft’s Office Open XML will not be
| treated as open standard, thus not preferred in Polish e-Government
| services, making OpenDocument Format the office standard of choice.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/polish-national-interoperability-framework-promotes-open-standards/

Poland says "Yes, with comments" to OOXML

http://sciitnews.com/news_4055.html

Poland votes yes on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
`----