[News] WAN Card Grows Community, Free GNU/Linux-based Routing Reviewed

WAN card vendor launches developer community

,----[ Quote ]
| Sangoma, which makes telephone network add-in cards supported under Linux,
| has launched a developer network for the open source community. Sangoma's
| Developer Network will serve as a platform for open source VoIP developers,
| connecting them with potential clients and employers, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6540892275.html?kc=rss

A hands-on look at Vyatta Community Edition 4 networking software

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta offers hardware and open source software for enterprise-level network
| infrastructure. Vyatta can turn any 32-bit x86 machine with at least one
| network interface into a network appliance that handles routing, firewall,
| and VPN tasks. The company released Vyatta Community Edition 4 in April, with
| improved scalability and feature enhancements. Large enterprises now have a
| low-cost alternative to proprietary hardware like the Cisco 7200.
|
| [...]
|
| Vyatta Community Edition 4 is a good low-cost alternative to proprietary
| network hardware. If you want to use Vyatta in compute-intensive applications
| like VPNs or multiple routing and firewall policies, follow Vyatta's hardware
| guidelines. As a minimum, a machine with a 1GHz processor with 512MB of RAM
| and 1GB of disk space is recommended, allowing you to use a machine that
| today costs $100 or less for Vyatta's basic features.
|
| Vyatta shows promise in the enterprise arena. Although I'm a Cisco fan when
| it comes to big enterprise networks, using Vyatta on small and medium-sized
| networks and familiarizing yourself with it is a good idea for now and may
| give you a big advantage in the future.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/143998

Related:

California city connects with open-source networking

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=open_source&articleId=9027911&taxonomyId=88&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/32s83e