[News] GNU/Linux All About the Great (and Libre) Applications

10 Essential Linux Applications for Daily Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of an introduction, I'll answer the question 'Why did you left out
| wonderful applications like Scribus, Inkscape, Cinelerra, Wine, QCad etc?'.
| Well, because the article is about applications which I consider essential
| for daily use. Of course, some work with those every day, but not the
| majority. Secondly, if you ask why Amarok and not Banshee, or why KTorrent
| and not Deluge, well that's a personal preference. Unfortunately the article
| is about 10 and only 10 applications, so I can't include all of them here.
| Instead, I mentioned several (I know, not all) alternatives for each of the
| applications included here. Happy reading!
`----

http://tux.50webs.org/ten_linux_apps.html

Russell about compassion for Windows Users

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, Linux can be installed by whoever dares to try. And the best
| thing, besides being completely free and shareable: it’s a complete install,
| mostly. No third-party software needed, for which you have to search the web
| or have the CD-ROMS (what’s that, again?), no old-time .configure && make &&
| sudo make install anymore, it just worksTM. Even this “mostly” is only
| remotely correct: for over 90% of the people I know, everything needed is on
| board right from the start.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=698

Windows users don't even have a PDF viewer. Not out of the box, not in the
repository (what's that?).

Recent:

Linux Myth: Installing “Third Party” Software is “Hard”

,----[ Quote ]
| For this rebuttal we will forget the fact that almost all software in a Linux
| distribution is “third party”. I believe what those who claim to detest Linux
| really mean by “third party” are non-free applications from closed source
| developers and some few FOSS projects not included with major Linux
| distributions. Surely they do not mean installing on Mandriva some helper
| application designed on and for Ubuntu. Or certainly they do not mean
| installing applications that would typically be done by a company’s technical
| support personnel, like maybe LedgerSMB for business accounting. That would
| be silly.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/08/11/linux-myth-installing-third-party-software-is-hard/

Related:

Get down and dirty with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Package managers make getting to grips with Linux easier
|
| Let me start with a controversial statement: installing new software is
| almost always easier on Linux than on Windows. On most Linux systems, a
| package manager takes care of both the installation and removal of software.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10970

The Thing About Beagle

,----[ Quote ]
| Beagle is a desktop search tool for Gnome. I thought I might give it
| a go, because sometimes I need to find things. Since I am using KDE I
| also installed Kerry, which is a KDE front end for Beagle. All of this
| can be accomplished in Debian as follows:
|
| apt-get install kerry
|
| Phew, that was tricky. I can see why those windows guys find Linux
| sooo difficult. It is waaaaay easier to go to some random website,
| download an installer, pray that it is safe, double-click on the
| installer, click "Yes, I do agree to all of these outrageous license
| terms and I don't mind that it includes spyware, and adware", click
| Next, Next, Next, and finally reboot a couple of times.
`----

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2006/11/thing-about-beagle.html

Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing
| new software is almost always easier on Linux than on
| Windows or the Mac OS.
|
| I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from
| the folks who write each month, certain that if they use
| enough capital letters and exclamation points, they'll
| convince me that LINUX SUCKS!!!
|
| But I'll say it again: Installing new software is, in
| most cases, easier under Linux than under other
| operating systems. I've touched on the simple reason
| why many times in this column. On most Linux systems,
| an app called the package manager takes care of
| software installation and removal.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127601-c,linux/article.html

Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
action

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03/21/flipping-the-linux-switch-disturbingly-easy-installs-now-with/