Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:39:49 +0000
<5326676.jCakYbWk9h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 13 August 2008 17:21 : \____

>>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 12 August 2008 21:39 : \____

>>> It's the cost of cybercrime, not bandwidth you should look at.
>>>

>> Ah, but Roy, the bandwidth has to be paid for - it's a very large part
>> of the cost indeed.
>
> Compared to about $60 billion per year in damages?

Plus, what is bandwidth anyway?  An Optical Carrier 768 line
carries almost 40 Gbit/s over a single optical fibre.  If
one assumes that this can be driven by a single laser diode
of 1 W or so and that one pays $0.10/kWh, one gets a cost
of about $6.944 * 10^-19 per bit.

Granted, this is a ridiculous oversimplification, especially
since one has to throw in a few repeaters/routers in there
as well, plus all the encoding circuitry.

But I'm paying about $1.02 * 10^-11 per bit, retail.
Someone's making money. ;-)

[.sigsnip]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found