Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

bbgruff wrote:
Phil Da Lick! wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft
| out of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered
| personal computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%,
| Gartner says.
`----

http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1
Bound to be wrong. The mighty bbc says 0.8% so 0.8% it is.

Sorry (well, not really!) to keep beating this drum, but it could well be that
BOTH figures are correct.

The BBC figure was from a date prior to November last year.  I don't know when
they actually did the survey, but at the time it was in their interest to
quote a lower figure rather than a higher one.
It measured % User Base, as measured by hits on the BBC web site, and they
quoted 0.8% of users.

Now we read:-
"For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says."

That it what is being SOLD, Market Share, NOW!

It takes a long time for even a high market share to affect a huge installed
base.

Yes.  Under certain assumptions, usage share is a moving average of
market share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_average#Simple_moving_average