Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

On 2008-08-13, bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

> While I have your attention, may I ask what you guys pay typically for a
> telephone line and national calls?  In fact, considering the size of the
> U.S., perhaps we ought to say "unlimited calls withing the state!"?

I wouldn't know. I've been using VOIP since 2004. At the time I dropped
local phone comapny, though, I was paying about $23/month unlimited
local, plus long distance.

When I lived in Illinois about 14 years ago, I paid about $18/month
plus 3.4¢ per local call, and the same long distance rate I paid when I
moved across the river to Missouri, where local calls weren't added to
the local bill. The monthly bill at that time was about the same price.

I got Vonage for VOIP with the the 500 minute plan and it was costing
me $16/month (that was local and long distance minutes, but only when
calling out) when I changed companies. This year I've paid about
$13/month for unlimited local and long distance. That will go up to
about $20/month when I renew my deal in October because the price has
gone up.

Unless I change companies again. Which I might.

But it won't be a local telco. My brother used to work for them. He
said one of the reasons they give such crappy wired service is because
they want to push more people to wireless where they make more money. I
have wireless, but I still need a wired line, and VOIP does the job
fine.

--
Security is one of those funny things. You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing. A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and