[News] Microsoft Insults the Intelligence of FOSS-embracing Malaysians

Lets complain about Microsoft restricting choice in the market

,----[ Quote ]
| What we have learnt throughout the two years with the OOXML / ODF issue, is
| that Microsoft always complains about the need to have a "Technology Neutral"
| outlook in policies and to "Let the Market Decide" as it winges to government
| officials.
|
| What is ironic or ... hypocritical is the fact that they have made it so that
| their products are mandated in every new PC sold by manufacturers. Or else
| face the wrath of the BSA. I guess its the legacy of having Malaysia as the
| nexus of pirated software, where every unpaid software copy is automatically
| assumed to be illegal.
|
| [...]
|
| Unlike Yasmin Mahmood (MD of Microsoft Malaysia) who only believes in an
| illusion of choice; "Its not about choosing but about having a choice", I
| think its is totally about having a choice, and choosing your preferred
| option.
|
| So I decided to write in. I believe if consumers have been artificially
| restricted in their choice, or that vendors are collaborating in creating
| uncompetitive markets, this is a problem which can only be fixed by
| complaints against these vendors through government regulatory bodies.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/lets-complain-a.html

Microcars Malaysia thinks Malaysian Government should not choose!

,----[ Quote ]
| We are wondering, based on the announcement and feedback, whether or not the
| above action by MAVEMPU's goes against the spirit of Cabinet's policy
| on "vehicular neutrality" and also the rules of WTO.
|
| We are particularly concerned with MAVEMPU's decision to demolish all its
| current inventory of Microcars cars as it does not make administrative sense
| and logic to do so. There is no technical requirement to obliterate the cars
| for any garage to service and house OpenCars. It also presents no real cost
| savings to the organization. Perhaps MAVEMPU should further clarify this
| aspect of their program and why they are doing this.
|
| [...]
|
| Don't you think it's rather presumptuous of this particular foreign company
| to question the right of a country's choice in a certain product? Maybe it's
| because all these foreign companies just think that it's not about choosing
| but about having a choice, and we poor third rate countries haven't the
| brains to think for ourselves.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/microcars-malay.html

It's the same in South Africa (see below). They try to conquer countries and
hijack their voices.

Recent:

South Africans don’t understand OSS - Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite having an open source strategy the South African government doesn’t
| really understand how to benefit from OSS. This is according to Microsoft
| director of corporate standards, Jason Matusow. Matusow, who was in South
| Africa on an “external outreach” trip around the time SA adopted ODF as a
| national standard, writes on his blog that not only does government not
| understand how to benefit from open source software, but South Africans were
| unlikely to ever do any “deep” development work on Linux.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2432

Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm,
| this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national
| standard. One way to point out the absurdity of their logic is to replace the
| reference to ODF with references to any other useful standard that a
| government might adopt, like electrical standards.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/embrace-reality-and-logic-of-choice.html

Government, NGOs 'turning to Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's extremely easy - basically anyone can install Linux now."
|
| Organisations such as the Shuttleworth Foundation, which help provide
| computers to underprivileged schools, use Linux instead of Windows to cut
| costs.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechHome&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=4366559

South Africa adopts ODF as a national standard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2365