Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

> * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at
>> tax payers expense like you do Roy?
>
> That's a new twist on a Ph.D. program.
>
> Yeah, a lot of "lounging around".
>
> I remember well having to spend another six months "lounging around"
> because my Ph.D. committee had some quibbles with my thesis.  Boy,
> was I happy to "lounge around" some more.

If Hardon thinks university students can survive on the pitiful grants
that the British government offer them (assuming such grants even exist
any more), then he's obviously never /seen/ the inside of a university,
much less experienced the financial hardship of higher education.

But then I doubt if IBM or CERN really demand degree qualifications for
their janitorial staff.

I can't speak for Roy, but /my/ time at university was paid for by
student loans (which I repaid in full) and part-time employment. The
grant money, such as it was, covered about two months rent and a handful
of books.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
| longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
| ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083

 15:51:05 up 235 days, 12:26,  4 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.09, 1.09