[News] [Rival] Leak: Microsoft's Proprietary Software Suffers from Fragmentation

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Leak: Microsoft's Proprietary Software Suffers from Fragmentation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:20:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft worried over .NET fragmentation

,----[ Quote ]
| Multiple product groups at Microsoft are contributing functionality to
| the .NET Framework, but juxtaposed with that growth is the company’s concern
| that too many cooks might spoil the broth, a Microsoft internal document
| reveals.
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/MICROSOFT_WORRIED_OVER_NET_FRAGMENTATION/About_NET_and_SOFTWAREDEVELOPMENT_and_MICROSOFT/32690
http://tinyurl.com/57ctgy

This one is worth bringing up to rebut the FUD against FOSS.

Sticky software problem for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| DEFRAG doesn't spend much time thinking about young people.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24162996-5013038,00.html

Java (GPL) still King:

The TIOBE List Director vs. the 'Anti-Java' Professor

,----[ Quote ]
| It is probably no surprise that Paul Jansen and Robert Dewar feel very
| differently about not only Java, but about programming languages in general.
|
| Paul Jansen, managing director of TIOBE software, maintains the TIOBE index
| of popular programming languages, which – here’s the key point – ranks Java
| as the top programming language.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/article.php/3763651/The+TIOBE+List+Director+vs+the+Anti-Java+Professor.htm

Recent:

Study: Java still top programming language

,----[ Quote ]
| Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
| Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
| with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
| C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html

Linux Development Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
| latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
| developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
| percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
| developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
|
| Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
| with 15.5 percent in 2009.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
| dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-development-thriving/

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146035/coders_tell_why_theyre_avoiding_vista.html

Mobile Developers Still Favor .Net and Java, But The Popularity Of Linux And
Android Is Growing

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, it's worth noting that Linux, Android and Mac OS are all on the rise
| despite the fact that they are either still coming to market, or have
| relatively small market share.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/20/AR2008062001932.html
http://tinyurl.com/5sppl4

Related:

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks