[News] EU and BT Treat Every Person Like a Terrorist

Secret EU security draft risks uproar with call to pool policing and give US
personal data

,----[ Quote ]
| Europe should consider sharing vast amounts of intelligence and information
| on its citizens with the US to establish a "Euro-Atlantic area of
| cooperation" to combat terrorism, according to a high-level confidential
| report on future security.
|
| [...]
|
| While cooperation between national police forces in the EU was advancing, the
| report conceded that the sharing of espionage and intelligence material was
| a "considerable challenge" as it clashed with the "principle of
| confidentiality" that is the basis for successful exchanges.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/07/eu.uksecurity

[sarcasm /] They are sharing. Sharing malicious codes. Sharing data. Can modify
and redistribute. And... prosecute.

Phorm papers reveal BT's backwards approach to wiretap law

,----[ Quote ]
| BT's long-held claim that legal advice said its Phorm trials did not breach
| wiretapping laws came under renewed scrutiny today, as documents revealed the
| firm approached government experts after it had secretly co-opted 18,000
| broadband customers into the advertising targeting system.
|
| Papers obtained from the Home Office under the Freedom of Information Act
| show that the department was first contacted about Phorm on 15 November 2006.
| The first secret trial of the system conducted by BT Retail ran between 23
| September and 6 October that year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/11/home_office_phorm_bt_foi_dates/

Recent:

Home Office questioned over Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| Critics have asked why the Home Office has not intervened over secret Phorm
| trials BT conducted in 2006 and 2007.
`----

The EU has asked the UK government to clarify the situation.

Bad Phorm: EU demands UK Government response on intrusive web ad tracking
technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Controversial behavioral advertising targeting outfit Phorm, whose Webwise ad
| technology monitors user browsing habits to serve appropriate advertising
| messages, might have dragged the UK Government into a slugfest with the
| European Union over a possible breach of strict Euro data laws...
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19884/1054/

Controversial Ad Network Caught Editing Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Phorm has been beset by controversy for years over its business model and
| quietly-run trials on British Telecom's (BT) broadband service.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/08/controversial-ad-network-caught-editing-wikipedia

The war on photographers - you're all al Qaeda suspects now

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/23/police_photographer_stops/

MPAA: We Don't Need No Stinking Evidence!

,----[ Quote ]
| You get some positive news, such as the Amicus brief filed by the EFF and
| others in the Jammie Thomas case, which could net her a new trial.
|
| But also on Friday, the MPAA filed its own brief, one which basically says it
| feels evidence isn't necessary in the case of one of its copyright
| infringement trials.
`----

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/2008/06/mpaa-we-dont-need-no-stinking-evidence.html

South Korea mulls Web watch

,----[ Quote ]
| SOUTH KOREA'S embattled President Lee Myung-Bak is considering web monitoring
| because his government is getting kicked to death by bloggers.
|
| There has been a wave of tumultuous protest inspired largely by bloggers and
| it is fast becoming difficult for Myung-Bak's government to cope.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/23/south-korea-mulls-web-watch

Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is developing a new technology that could force mobiles into silent
| mode, or even prevent calls from being made.
|
| [...]
|
| Phone jammers, which work in small spaces, are banned in the UK and come with
| a hefty fine for use.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/microsoft-could-force-your-mobile-into-silence-393006

Digital copyright: it's all wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACTA draft is a scary document. If a treaty based on its provisions were
| adopted, it would enable any border guard, in any treaty country, to check
| any electronic device for any content that they suspect infringes copyright
| laws. They need no proof, only suspicion.
|
| They would be able to seize any device - laptop, iPod, DVD recorder, mobile
| phone, etc - and confiscate it or destroy anything on it, merely on
| suspicion. On the spot, no lawyers, no right of appeal, no nothing.
`----

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/technology/digital-copyright-its-all-wrong/2008/06/09/1212863783566.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
http://tinyurl.com/6ylvpx

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071