[News] KDE's Toolkit Gets Major Improvements from Nokia

Qt 4.5 to Dramatically Improve QtWebKit and QGraphicsView Through Animations
and Speed Ups

,----[ Quote ]
| At Akademy 2008 in Belgium, Qt developers Simon Hausmann and Andreas Aardal
| Hanssen announced dramatic improvements in the web browser engine in Qt and
| the canvas that is used by, for example, the Plasma desktop shell. Video
| support, animations and transitions, optimisations to speed up painting and
| animations, and new graphical effects open up nearly endless new
| possibilities for developers to present their user interfaces with. Read on
| for more details.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1218387228/

Recent:

Qt Port of Mozilla and Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla and Nokia teams have been working hard to port Firefox 3 and the
| Mozilla Platform to Qt and there are now some solid results available from
| their efforts. An experimental build of Firefox Qt is available and you can
| download the sources from Mozilla's mercurial repository. The plan is to
| merge the Qt branch into the central Mozilla branch to make the port o
| fficial.
`----

http://www.newmobilecomputing.com/story/20160/Qt_Port_of_Mozilla_and_Firefox_3

Opendocument format

,----[ Quote ]
| Longer term I expect to see email applications to send ODF as well as html in
| their emails. Just so they can use the much broader ODF set of features.
|
| Interestingly, a text exchange format gets more useful when more applications
| support it. This should be obvious :)
| To speed up ODF recognition Qt 4.5 will ship with an ODF writer. Qt’s text
| module turns into a one stop document generation API where you can use
| QTextCursor to create your document via a nice API and you can then export
| the created QTextDocument to ODF ready to be opened by any opendocument
| implementation. Naturally exporting to plain text and html are still
| supported, as is printing to PDF.
|
| Support for writing ODF in Qt sets a trend that we believe in the
| OpenDocument Format and we think its useful to have for our customers, the
| open source community and all end-users out there.
`----

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/08/06/opendocument-format/

Nokia completes Trolltech acquisition

,----[ Quote ]