Re: [News] MAFIAA Gets Sued for Abuse of Power

> Universal sued for dancing baby take-down
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A PENNSYLVANIA woman is being permitted to sue Universal Music for
> forcing
> | Youtube to take down a video clip of her baby dancing to Prince's Let's
> Go
> | Crazy.
> |
> | Universal ordered the video timewasting site to remove a 29-second home
> video
> | by Stephanie Lenz of Gallitzin, claiming that it violated copyright laws
> on
> | the song.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/feeds/rss/generic/en/GB/inq/latest/gb/inquirer/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/21/universal-sued-dancing-baby
>
> Judge: Copyright owners must consider 'fair use'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A federal judge on Wednesday gave more weight to the concept of "fair
> use"
> | when he threw a lifeline to a Pennsylvania mother's lawsuit against
> Universal
> | Music.

Two issues are here:

1) Is Stephanie Lenz (the woman who posted the video) entitled to present
her case in court rather than have a judge dismiss it without her
opportunity to present her side in a forum where she can ask questions of
the other side and have questions asked of her?

2) Does she have a case that her use of a song which doesn't belong to her
nonetheless amounts to "fair use" (as understood in law)?

I believe the answers are 1) Yes, 2) No.

"Fair use" is not one of the cut-and-dry areas of copyright law.  When a
court decision is reached on "fair use," it is after looking at a slew of
factors and examining the two works in their entireties.  This is not what a
judge might do sitting at a desk, reading petitions, without the opportunity
to ask questions.

The Supreme Court and lower courts have issued some rulings worth taking a
look at if you're interested in the subject:

http://chart.copyrightdata.com/c12C.html

The related subject of similarities of works might also be studied, although
this is a particularly non-cut-and-dry area of copyright law:

http://chart.copyrightdata.com/c13A.html

Did Lenz use more of the Prince song than necessary to communicate what was
going on in her video?  I think so.  It's not as though she couldn't have
muted the sound.  I believe she also has tainted her case by making
statements about the song being "an old song" as though it were she who is
entitled to decide how long a work should enjoy copyright and not the
Congress.  If you want to see how long terms of copyright have been
established as being, take a look at the chart at
http://chart.copyrightdata.com/ or visit copyright.gov, where the U.S.
Copyright Office reproduces its circulars on the subject as well as the
entire copyright act (in its very lengthy totality).

--
David Hayes

To respond privately, you'll have to take out some portion of the email
address: specifically, eight characters leading up the third-to-last of the
userID.