Re: [News] Poland Now Gives Windows Refunds to GNU/Linux User/s

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:09:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that |
> Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is | a
> program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin, | to
> analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software, | and
> specifically Linux.
> | His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon -- |
> in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents. | And
> the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the | OEM
> channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that | end users
> have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled. `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/
Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Fortunately, Linux isn't a corporation. It is a community. And it is a
community that has kept on working for love and pride and not for money.

It linux was a corporation, it would be dead and long forgotten. As it
is, Linux is growing. It is filling niches in computing that Microsoft
can't hope to ever fill with their products. It is supplanting Microsoft
in a lot of areas, and it dominates areas which Microsoft has never
succeeded in supplanting.

GNU/Linux (The proper name for Linux-based operating systems that use the
GNU libraries) is there. It's not going anywhere and it has a very bright
future.