[News] Review of Linux-based Acer Aspire; Sub-notebooks High in Demand, FRee

Acer Aspire One Review

,----[ Quote ]
| On the Linux model, this slot performs the nifty trick of merging a memory
| card with the SSD as seamless main storage, rather than appearing as an
| additional drive.
`----

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/thebasics/buyersguide/article.php/12171_3768581_1

Atom Demand Still Stymied by Testing Bottleneck

,----[ Quote ]
| Demand for Intel's Atom processor is strong, with computer makers clamoring
| for more chips to plug into the small, portable laptops called netbooks, but
| the chips remain in short supply. The problem isn't that Intel can't make
| enough of the silicon chips -- the company can, and it is -- but availability
| remains stymied by a testing bottleneck that prevents the chip maker from
| meeting demand.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150456/atom_demand_still_stymied_by_testing_bottleneck.html%20
http://tinyurl.com/6396d9

Ubuntu Netbook Remix: the movie

,----[ Quote ]
| With all of the netbook talk these days, it's no surprise that we're also
| talking about various Linux distros. While many netbooks are offered with
| Windows XP, most are offered in a lower-priced, and sometimes lower-spec'd
| Linux version. I often get reader e-mails asking how Ubuntu works on this
| device or that device, so I wanted to point out this screencast of the Ubuntu
| Netbook Remix. It's not terribly exciting or anything, but it shows where the
| Canonical team is heading on the netbook front. The "remix" isn't a new
| Ubuntu edition; it's simply a revamp of the current Ubuntu build (8.04)
| that's optimized for the attributes of a small-screen, lower powered notebook
| and it includes the basic apps most folks need to get started.
`----

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/08/with-all-of-the.html

They keep improving and getting cheaper, which is a ch-allege to pricey
non-Free software.

Netbooks free with cellular contract?

,----[ Quote ]
| LG Electronics announced a netbook that sports aWish list: 10 improvements
| for KDE 4.2 built-in HSPA (high speed packet access) modem, and may be
| available from carriers in subsidized form. The X110 has a 1.6GHz Atom
| processor, 10-inch screen, 80GB or 120GB hard drive, 802.11b/g, and a wired
| Ethernet port, says LG.

Days ago:

Intel acquires Linux distro developer

,----[ Quote ]
| "Poky Linux" and Matchbox developer OpenedHand announced that it has been
| acquired by Intel Corp. The U.K.-based embedded Linux services team will join
| the Intel Open Source Technology Center, and will focus on Moblin development
| for mobile Internet devices and other mobile devices.

Intel Acquires Mobile OSS Firm OpenedHand--Advances Moblin

,----[ Quote ]
| The terms of Intel's acquisition of OpenedHand were not disclosed, Slowly but
| surely, Intel is putting quite a bit of infrastructure behind the Moblin
| project. Recently, Intel announced that Linpus Technologies, which makes the
| lightweight Linpus Linux Lite distro that is starting to show up on some
| netbooks, has joined the Moblin project.
`----

http://ostatic.com/171909-blog/intel-acquires-mobile-oss-firm-openedhand-advances-moblin

Recent:

Intel won't touch Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| So that leaves two other choices, Linux and Mac. Linux is a distinct
| possibility, they already have an in-house distro that causes employees look
| nervously around the room when you talk about it. Although it is not a
| desktop variant, there is no reason that they could not roll one given two
| years.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/23/intel-dumps-vista

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux