Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO Said the Truth: OS/2 Was Better Than Windows

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:33:31 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Why Steve Ballmer Will Make Microsoft Good for SOA
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I'll never forget the day Steve Ballmer visited me at InfoWorld to |
>> convince me that Windows 95 would be the wave of the future. In our |
>> conversation, and in front of a room full of editors and skilled |
>> technicians, he unapologetically admitted that IBM's OS/2 was superior
>> | to Windows 95.
>> `----
>>

> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/082808-why-steve-ballmer-will-
make.html?hpg1=bn

> ----snip----
>
> I loved OS/2. My first gig in IT was in a shop that ran it 100%. We
> moved mountains with it... After IBM begain chargeing for everything,
> including the browser... we moved on to Linux and never looked back.
> Since that time, I've been through a few more jobs and Linux has always
> been there waiting for me.
>
> I really, really wish OS/2 could be open source. It would be wonderful.

I dunno. I was an OS/2 user as well and I loved it. I could run any win16
app inside of a seperate session and issues in it wouldn't affect
anything to do with any other win16 session or OS/2 session.

But I don't know that OS/2 is very relevant today. It was written to
supercede DOS at a time when networks were local only and there was no
internet and true multi-user was only present in top end unix systems. I
just think the architecture is a bit dated by today's standards and
putting in the necessary security would probably be much like trying to
secure Windows.

(Yes. I know I know little about the development side of OS/2. I was a
user of the system. I would like to hear dissenting, informed opinion on
what I have just written.)