[News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Going Down, Despite Microsoft Payola

Microsoft’s Live Search Cashback Scheme Fails To Move The Market Share Needle

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to search, Microsoft is trying everything it can to become a
| serious player. It tried to acquire Yahoo, its latest version of Internet
| Explorer attempts to steer Web surfers away from Google, and then there is
| straight-out payola to search advertisers. I am talking, of course, of
| Microsoft’s Live Search Cashback promotion, which lets advertisers offer
| rebates to consumers who make a purchase after doing a Microsoft search.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/08/28/microsoft-live-search-cashback-scheme-fails-to-move-the-market-share-needle/

You Can't Pay People to Use Microsoft Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has been desperately trying to chip away at Google’s dominance in
| search -- and the ad coin it brings in -- but it looks like its plan to pay
| searchers isn't having much impact on market share.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/08/microsoft-tips.html

Recent:

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
| But truth be told, it's not the worst idea. What's the harm in giving it a
| shot? In a recession--or whatever you want to call the current economic
| malaise in the United States--consumers are open to bribes (oh, I forgot:
| rebates). So why not see if this strikes the people's fancy? But this is only
| a holding action. The reason more people use Google's search is the user
| experience. It works better, so they keep returning. Microsoft CEO Steve
| Ballmer knows this.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

How this kind of thing works - Soft Bribery

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm gonna repost this comment from another ooxml "sudden flipflop" story - I
| posted it too late to get any attention then but I still wanted it visible.
| AC for obvious reasons! Also please bear in mind that all numbers are just
| for example's sake, but the general point is all too accurate. Also bear in
| mind I have no "inside" information on Durusau at all, I am just trying to
| tell you some backstory on how these deals can go down, including one I have
| specific knowledge of.
|
| -------
|
| I want to tell you Slashdot people something about how this kind of thing
| works. I don't really know the name for it, but I call it "soft bribery". You
| might also call it "economic alignment" or whatever. Here's what happens.
|
| A large, rich stakeholder wants a particular outcome - in this case, MS wants
| OOXML to be ratified. They have some adversaries - respected leaders of the
| OSS movement or ODF foundation, in this case. Note that there are always
| certain people with disproportionate voices - these people are really hurting
| them. How can they turn them around?
`----

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=499412&threshold=4&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=22866970

Ex-Microsoft domain buyer's sentencing in June

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/139309.asp?source=rss