[News] Why It's Time for NASA to Embrace More GNU/Linux on Desktops

Computer viruses in space!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe they should run Mac or Linux.  Then they would have nothing to worry
| about at all, right?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/computer_viruses_in_space

Malware infects space station laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware has managed to get off the planet and onto the International Space
| Station (ISS), NASA confirmed today. And it's not the first time that a worm
| or virus has stowed away on a trip into orbit.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9113654&intsrc=news_ts_head

GL: "The W in the name of the virus stands for Windows, because that is the
only operating system affected by the virus, according to Symantec and Sophos.
Do you think maybe NASA could supply astronauts with one of the new Linux
mini-laptops, for safety's sake?"

NASA already uses a lot of GNU/Linux (recent examples below). After this
incident, it's likely that they'll use more.

Recent:

NASA launches online historical image gallery

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Archive, founded in 1996 to create an Internet-based library, will
| manage and host NASA's new interactive image gallery on the cluster of 2,000
| Linux servers at its San Francisco headquarters, said John Hornstein,
| director of the NASA images project for the group. The non-profit currently
| runs 2 petabytes of storage, Hornstein said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=281068211&rid=-50

Goddard's open source site

,----[ Quote ]
| NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., has established a Web
| site for open-source projects that were developed by center personnel for
| mission needs. By releasing such code into open source, NASA hopes to speed
| development of the software, as well as raise awareness of NASA research.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46759-1.html

NASA Uses Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| He and I walked back over behind the guy to look. I pointed out the little
| bit of the heron you could see at the bottom of the screen, and he said "yep,
| it's Hardy." Then he added, "look what else he's running." "What?" "Compiz.
| You can see the shadows on the panels."
`----

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/nasa-uses-ubuntu.html

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

NASA tests Linux for spacecraft control

,----[ Quote ]
| On the software side, embedded Linux vendor Wind River says it was selected
| to "support the development of NASA's New Millennium Program Space Technology
| 8 (ST8) Dependable Multiprocessor." As part of its role in supporting the
| project, the company will supply its Platform for Network Equipment, Linux
| Edition (PNE-LE) for use on the DM system.

At NASA, Windows Vista Isn't Ready For Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Space agency among the growing list of federal agencies that
| have put a temporary hold on Windows Vista rollouts.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201229

NASA tests Linux-based planetary surface exploration robots

,----[ Quote ]